I have enough signatures for Bloc race: Mario Beaulieu

Mario Beaulieu (right) with Maxime Laporte, who replaced him as head of the SSJB.
Tina Tenneriello/CJAD

Mario Beaulieu says he has collected enough signatures to join the Bloc Quebecois leadership race.

The outgoing head of the nationalist Societe Saint-Jean-Baptiste says about 2,000 people have endorsed his candidacy — double the required number.

The Bloc is expected to rubber-stamp his bid later this week.

Bloc MP Andre Bellavance is the only other candidate so far in the race to succeed Daniel Paillé, who resigned last December for health reasons.

The new leader will be chosen by June 14.

Beaulieu told a news conference in Montreal today he believes he will be able to steal support away from Bellavance.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. joeN posted on 05/07/2014 03:33 PM
    Let the circus act begin!
  2. Joe posted on 05/07/2014 05:52 PM
    Who cares. A nobody running for a party that has no reason to exist. Make sure your apartment is in Hull because I am sure you would not to live in enemy territory.
  3. More BS posted on 05/08/2014 09:51 AM
    Run Forrest Run !
showing all comments

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News

  • Major closure on Bonaventure this weekend


    Work on the approaches to the Champlain Bridge will continue this weekend. As a result, the Bonaventure Expressway towards the bridge will be completely closed between Notre Dame and Carrie-Derrick, from Friday at 10 p.m. until five o'clock Monday morning. Read More
  • New York City man tests positive for Ebola

    NEW YORK - A doctor who became New York City's first Ebola patient was praised for getting treatment immediately upon showing symptoms, and health officials stressed that the nation's most populous city need not fear his wide-ranging travel in the days before his illness began. Read More