Chateauguay councillor sorry for calling Ginette Reno a 'fatty who can't sing'

A councillor in Chateauguay says he's sorry for insulting Ginette Reno on Facebook.

Shortly after the Quebec superstar sang the national anthem at the Bell Centre before Game 3 of the Habs-Bruins series, Pierre Gloutnay typed out a message on Facebook: "Ostie qu’les Amaricains doivent se demander c’est qui la grosse qui a de la misère à chanter." ("Damn, the 'Muricans have to ask themselves who the fatty is who has trouble singing.")

Gloutnay has since taken down the post, and admitted it was a bad joke which was just meant to be provocative humour.

Nonetheless, a Facebook group has been created calling for Gloutnay's resignation. As of 11 a.m., the page has 873 members, and counting.

1. Carlos posted on 05/08/2014 11:31 AM
    He admitted it was a bad joke which was just meant to be provocative humor more like provocative stupidity. It's a sad statement when people like this are elected to office.
  2. kevin therrien posted on 05/08/2014 11:45 AM
    is ma page
  3. Vanessa posted on 05/08/2014 12:09 PM
    What a piece of crap this man is! I am a proud English speaking person, and when Ginette stood there and sang I had tears streaming down my face! She is truly amazing proud that she is from Montreal! And this idiot needs to go...and go now!
  4. ric posted on 05/08/2014 04:37 PM
    Should he lose his job, NO. Is he a big idiot, YES.
    People in office or on social media have to use their brain, obviously Pierre Gloutnay lacks one. Ms. Reno belt it out tonight at the Bell Center for us all!!!
  5. Lynda Bray posted on 05/08/2014 05:30 PM
    I live in Chateauguay and this man is a complete embarrassment to the whole city. We now have our own Rob Ford it seems. I, for one, demand his resignation: the thought of my tax dollars paying somebody like that is frankly sickening. GO HABS GO!!
  6. Mickey Graham posted on 05/08/2014 07:54 PM
    As an American living in New Jersey & a former Montrealer, I take exception with the comments of the councillor from Chateauguay. I grew up listening to Ginette Reno & was in awe of her international success. Now that she has been bringing good luck to the Habs with her stirring "Kate Smith" like rendition of "Oh, Canada", she is even more inspiring. Go Habs Go!
  7. carrie posted on 05/08/2014 09:57 PM
    is there a link for that Facebook group ?
  8. Steve posted on 05/08/2014 10:29 PM
    For retribution, he should have to step on the ice and "sing" the US national anthem before the next game.
  9. Murray posted on 05/08/2014 11:08 PM
    Can this sorry excuse for a person sing?
  10. marylee posted on 05/09/2014 02:38 AM
    I'm a long-time Anglo fan, from Vancouver -- and I'm utterly horrified at that dreadful remark-- and furthermore, all the guy cares about is what American's think! A loser on all counts and hurry and hugs for Ginette!
  11. Eva posted on 05/09/2014 09:05 AM
    Most of us like to joke, but not at the expense of others, especially about physical appearances. Ms. Reno was recently ill, which makes this boor's remarks all the more disgusting. I live in Chateauguay and I am ashamed that he is one of our city's councillors. Carie, if you google his name on Facebook, two pages will pop up.
  12. diane tourangeau posted on 05/09/2014 04:23 PM
    Mais c'est affreux ce que Pierre Gloutnay a ecrit sur sa page Facebook.

Meme s'il a retire son commentaire le mal est fait.

Il doit maintenant essayer oui essayer de reparer le dort qu'il a fait a Madame Reno et a ses fans.

Je suis encore sous le choc.
  13. cliff mitchell posted on 05/09/2014 05:37 PM
    Geez ... I read the councilor's comments before watching video of the anthem. I expected to witness a train wreck but instead watched a great performance by Ms. Reno. Boo to the idiot councilor ... yay to a great Canadian chanteuse!

CJAD NOW...