Liberals appeal ruling saying retailers don't have to modify English names

The Quebec government says it will appeal a recent court ruling that major retailers don't have to translate their trademarked English names into French.

The government had until this week to decide whether to appeal the decision by Quebec Superior Court Justice Michel Yergeau.

Yergeau ruled last month that businesses that have storefront signs with their trademark name in a language other than French do not contravene the French Language Charter.

Several multinationals took the province to court after they were told by the language watchdog to change their names or risk running afoul of the rules governing the language of business in Quebec.

The Office quebecois de la langue francaise wanted the companies to change their signs to either give themselves a generic French name or to add a slogan or explanation to reflect what they sold.

But a list of companies that included Best Buy, Costco, Gap, Old Navy, Guess, Wal-Mart, Toys "R'' Us and Curves opposed the idea.

Yergeau also ruled the watchdog could not suspend, revoke or refuse to renew certificates or attempt to impose any other sanction stemming from the trademarks issue.

The office of Justice Minister Stephanie Vallee said it won't comment any further given the case is now back before the courts.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Adam posted on 05/08/2014 04:00 PM
    What a surprise, the Liberals are wasting tax dollars on a fight most of the people don't want. Can you see the knifes in the back of all those English voters.
  2. Veektor_Smash posted on 05/08/2014 04:05 PM
    I understand why the Libs are doing this, but I hope they lose.
  3. clint posted on 05/08/2014 04:07 PM
    Dr. Phil.....first you are creating another charter....and now appealing the decision by Quebec Superior Court. I thought we were above all this......don't turn into the PQ
  4. Gianni posted on 05/08/2014 04:09 PM
    why, why, why? What a waste of time and money. We drop one gvt for focusing in dumb things only to elect another to follow suit! WTF!!!!
  5. Bryan posted on 05/08/2014 04:09 PM
    This is why I don't vote Liberal. They come in and then enforce (or bring about) language laws as would the PQ.
  6. Edward posted on 05/08/2014 04:12 PM
    Well, this didn't take long!!!
  7. maria posted on 05/08/2014 04:22 PM
    I knew this was going to happen , and wait and see just like the Charest Liberals they will be more Zealous than the PQ when it comes to these type of situations. If I could take my vote back I would. Shame on the Liberal Gouverment , Shame on Couillard, shame on
    Coiteux - on Leteio and whoever is in charge of the money (our money) this province does not have the cash to go back to court for something so stupid how dare they do this , I am so angry right now !!! And here I was so foolishly thinking that they will stop these stupid actions, and even cut the oqlf budget in half, boy we were all taken for a ride!!! The truth is they are all afraid or they are all a bunch of closet separatists.!!! Because there is no common sense !!!
  8. Jason posted on 05/08/2014 04:23 PM
    If the QC government has so much extra money, instead of wasting it on this, why don't you pay down the debt. Your children and your children's children will thank you for it later on....
  9. Craig posted on 05/08/2014 04:25 PM
    Here we go again. The Liberals give out good vibes about language issues and identity issues during election campaigns and sound bites and then they make decisions like this. Really? And I thought things under Mr. Couillard would be different. Just gives credence to that old saying about the more things change the more they stay the same!
  10. MeNotYou posted on 05/08/2014 04:26 PM
    ........and I'm gone and taking my family with me.

I thought I'd stay and see if we really had turned a corner on all this foolishness, on all the driving of business away, on all the idiotic language policies that keep capital and investments away.

Nope. Same old, same old. Plus ca change.....

Hey Dr. Couillard...........if this is the Quebec you promised us, you can keep it. I'll happily give my taxes somewhere else.
    1. Paul posted on 05/14/2014 12:37 PM
      @MeNotYou We decided before the election to move to Canada, even with a liberal win nothing changes. My family arrived in 1649 and I am as "pure laine" as possible. I want to live free unlike Quebec where it is more "I want to live for free"....
  11. ric posted on 05/08/2014 04:30 PM
    So, now that the liberals got ENGLISH votes and support, this is the thanks that we get. I hope that these companies fight tooth and nail and WIN. If anyone doesn't like the sign, go shop in a french store.
  12. Max posted on 05/08/2014 04:51 PM
    I didn't vote for this!
  13. Kent Tyson posted on 05/08/2014 05:01 PM
    Et Tu Brute - With the news today regarding the Liberal Government appealing the ruling by the courts concerning English trademarked names, I am starting to feel terribly sorry I voted for them. I really thought they would do things differently than the PQ but obviously I was wrong. It starts with this crap and then something else tomorrow and so on and so on. They also said earlier today that it's time for their own Charter of Hate. I thought Cuillard was above doing these things. I guess not. I was taken in along with so many others. Time to pack up and call it a day? Seriously thinking about it.....
  14. Flabbergasted posted on 05/08/2014 05:03 PM
    So much for the government saving our tax dollars... It really does seem that the OQLF will be spared any cuts !!!
  15. Joe posted on 05/08/2014 05:23 PM
    It is beginning to feel like PLQ is the same as PQ but with a L in the middle. And here we thought we were electing a government that was better and different. Only now we find out they are just a wolf in sheep's clothing.
  16. More BS posted on 05/08/2014 05:32 PM
    Only in lala land like Quebec would a government facing a 3.7 BILLION dollar deficit spend money on this &$?;() nonsense . We went from one party of imbeciles to another .
  17. Joe posted on 05/08/2014 05:39 PM
    Hope they lose then pack it in, and say Salut la Visite , and find a job for the countless that will be unemployed by this petty political move by Coulliard to appease the Clan members.
  18. Joseph posted on 05/08/2014 05:54 PM
    The BS never ends.
  19. maria posted on 05/08/2014 06:09 PM
    The appeal is not before the courts yet that could take over a year, so her office and herself can start talking - she can let us know were they are getting the money from - and we should ask her that if she feels this is more important than a child getting medical care!!!???because if she puts a stop to this appeal this money can be allocated to someone who really needs it - the sick - the poor - the schools - Let them all think about that while they keep on supporting this waste of money ( again I will say our money)!!!
  20. Barcham posted on 05/08/2014 07:10 PM
    Haven't we wasted enough money on such foolish things? If I had known the Liberals would appeal the verdict, they would have not received my vote in the last election. These companies should do what McDonald's did many years ago and simply tell the government to take a hike by saying "Change the law and we will simply close down all our stores in Quebec." Good luck getting elected again after that.
  21. JPK posted on 05/08/2014 07:19 PM
    What about Canadian Tire, IGA stands for what in french.....get a life Quebec look around at the rest of the world, Oh by the way this appeal will cost all of that live in Quebec $$$
    1. Barcham posted on 05/09/2014 06:36 PM
      @JPK I don't know what IGA stands for in English or in French. Same with Loblaws. And you know what, M. Couillard? I don't care because I'm not an idiot and can see what kind of businesses they are without any help from the government.
  22. Eric posted on 05/08/2014 07:39 PM
    So much for the Liberal government! All this waste of money! I would not blame these companies if they closed up shop. Then what would Quebec do?

Besides that, I don't care what language you are, if you do not know what these stores sell then you have another problem!
  23. françois landry posted on 05/08/2014 08:18 PM
    And the liberals are also begging Ottawa for more money.

This is the doing of a government that depend on another.

We want independence!
  24. sstsm posted on 05/08/2014 08:32 PM
    Pity. The Liberals actually got a mandate to stop being stupid about language and supremacism by speaking boldly and wisely during the election campaign. This is a lose lose situation
  25. Cliff Oswald posted on 05/08/2014 09:50 PM
    I looked up the word 'Hydro' in the Larousse; not there.... Will the Government demand that Hydro Quebec place a descriptor in front of its name? Not bloody likely.
    1. Jim posted on 05/09/2014 09:26 PM
      @Cliff Oswald Larousse may not have it, but other French dictionaries do. Dictionnaire. reverso.net indicates that it is "préfixe issu du grec "hudôr = eau", il entre en composition sous la forme "hydr-, hydro" en premier élément, ou sous la forme "-hydre" en position terminale, dans de nombreux termes scientifiques".
showing 1-25 of 44 comments · show all comments