Cavalli restaurant hit by firebomber

THE GAZETTE

Montreal police are investigating after a firebombing at a Peel St. restaurant early Tuesday morning.

A firebomb hit the front entrance of the Cavalli restaurant at around 1:45 a.m., causing some damage to the front entranceway.

Police have no suspects.

The restaurant had been undergoing renovations at the time of the fire, but one of the restaurant's owners tells CJAD News the restaurant will reopen, as scheduled, on Monday, June 2 — just in time for the Grand Prix weekend.

The Cavalli restaurant has been in the news several times in recent months — earlier this year, it had its liquor licence suspended for 100 days for frequent complaints, including frequent overcrowding and brawling among patrons.

That 100-day period ends on June 2.

The restaurant has also been mentioned frequently at the Charbonneau Commission's hearings as a frequent hangout for members of the underworld, including the Italian Mafia and biker gangs.

Its owners also recently sought protection from its creditors, citing $1.2 million in debts.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here. You DO NOT need to be a member to comment.

News Videos

Latest News

  • Bombardier-Alstom liable for $1.5 million in penalties

    Bombardier-Alsom is months late delivering the first of the 470 new cars it is building for Montreal's metro system - but the transit corporation has decided not to impose any penalties for tardiness, at least not yet. Read More
  • L'Isle Verte attendant blames careless smoking

    The night attendant on duty when a deadly fire broke out at a seniors residence in L'Isle Verte last January says he will tell a provincial inquiry the same thing he said from the start: careless smoking by a resident was to blame. Read More