City of Montreal unveils bike safety plan

In the wake of several well-publicized accidents involving cyclists

After a deadly spring, the city unveiled its 2014-2015 bike safety plan Thursday. It wants to cut accidents by 40 percent between now and 2018.

The plan involves 74 projects that will cost $10 million.

It includes extending bike paths by 50 km, including a 14 km bike path along the train tracks, from RDP to the St. Lawrence River.

Projet Montréal and Vélo Québec said they were happy with the plan, and that the city moved fast, but they say its plan missing bike paths downtown.

“There’s a black hole in downtown Montreal,” says Vélo Québec spokesperson Suzanne Lareau.

“Adding kilometers of bike paths is one thing, but what is the quality of the bike paths?” Marianne Giguère, Plateau city councillor with Projet Montréal said; adding that she would like to see more bike boxes.

Bike boxes are yellow paint signalisations at lights that allow bikes to go ahead of cars.  There are three in the city.

They all agreed with the city that education on bike safety needs to be a priority.

“I’ve been a police officer for 33 years and I think the only way to bike safety is through education,” André Durocher with the SPVM said.

The Montreal police is partnering with the city for the plan, officers will be on bikes educating and enforcing the law.

“Respect the rules because the police will be there to enforce them,” Durocher said.

When asked if the cops would be on a ticket blitz, Durocher said; “to increase ticketing in bad behavior, there would have to be an increase in bad behavior.”

“I would love to see the SPVM more active, we already have many rules, they just need to be applied,” Giguère said.

Lights at 200 intersections will also be reconfigured as part of the plan.

1. LMAO posted on 05/29/2014 03:22 PM
    The plan involves 74 projects that will cost $10 million.

Oh goody more wasted tax dollars that we don't have. How about teaching the cyclists how to ride safely and obey the laws that apply equally to them as they do the motorists???? How about they have to take a safety course and road test like the rest of the road users. That is the best way to improve road safety.
  2. Kari posted on 05/29/2014 05:18 PM
    Thanks LMAO for saying exactly what I was going to say.
    I'll bet if they investigated the recent bicycle accidents they would find it was the cyclists at fault ( not always I'm sure but............. ).
    Today I almost hit a cyclist who decided that his stop sign should be ignored and he would just sail through. Its a good thing I figured he would or he would be lying on the road blaming me. I've seen this idiot before, so I waited. He also insists on using the only main street in and out of my area to cycle everyday and holds up a dozen cars behind him. GO A DIFFERENT WAY!!!!!
    How about using that $10 million dollars for the telethon for the Childrens Hospital instead. They NEED it.
    Good job CJAD.
  3. marguerite posted on 05/29/2014 06:54 PM
    Do not get me wrong I do believe in bike paths. But no amount of bike paths will help if the cyclists do not adhere also to the rules of the road. Correct me if I am wrong but are cyclist not suppose to stop at stop signs? I see only a handful of cyclist using hand signals. I am sure if asked a majority of cyclists are not educated in this area. I am all for safety but I believe money would be well spent on education the cyclist first.
  4. Anthony posted on 05/29/2014 07:34 PM
    What a farce, more money wasted..

The fix is simple, introduce a bike safety course *mandatory* which issues a permit for a bike.

This course will illustrate the same rules motorists abide by.

Now once everyone is on the same page with the rules, we wont have random bikers zooming down a boulevard when a car is signaling to turn right and the biker thinking the motorist will stop. but instead the cyclist will STOP wait for the indicating car to turn then proceed to go straight.

Guess that's to much effort for the city to enforce, the motorists just keep getting nailed why the ignorant cyclists will get away with murder.
  5. The same cops who... posted on 05/30/2014 06:44 AM
    The same cops who run red lights on their bicycles will be forcibly educating cyclists? Awesome!

How about we educate cyclists through a driver's course? They share the same roads, they have to learn to deal with the vehicles on there. The vehicles have had training for road laws, cyclists have not unless they have had a driver's license, which in Montreal I think is safe to assume most haven't.

And how will I identify them on the roads when they commit crimes or cause accidents? I can't exactly drive after them. So force them to have a license plate and make them have a mandatory course on safety. Then we can start thinking about real safety and prevention, and not just paying cops to ticket people after the facts.
  6. Waste of money posted on 05/30/2014 02:13 PM
    I don't exactly get what the article is saying about bike safety. Is this program to educate bicyclists about safety? If not, then this is a big waste of time from the get-go. Bicyclists seem to treat bikes as both vehicles and non-vehicles: vehicles which allows them to ride on city streets, along reserved bus routes (forcing buses to continuously move in and out of traffic, defeating the whole concept of reserved bus lanes), and non-vehicles, by going through red lights, riding fast on sidewalks and generally acting like wheeled pedestrians.

The city should move on educating those users on bike safety first. The biggest dividends will come from that.
  7. Constantine Mastoropoulos posted on 05/30/2014 04:31 PM
    really what a plan put us in the hole like that rather then repaving the roads we pay top dollars to drive on rather then patch the hole like a flat on a bike i am really starting to hate the way our city and province is throwing our money away nice mayor !!! i do not think i will make an effort to vote again anyone want to buy my citizenship or trade !!