Montreal Congregation of Notre-Dame celebrate release of nun

After she was held captive in northern Cameroon for two months ago

A Montreal nun was released Sunday after being held captive with two Italian priests for two months.

Seventy-four-year-old Sister Gilberte Buissière was kidnapped from northern Cameroon at a Congregation of Notre-Dame mission where she worked to educate girls, by armed men, believed to be linked to Boko Haram.

Sisters with the Congregation in Montreal celebrated her release Monday.

"We were all jumping for joy, it was such a moment of joy and relief,” Sister Josephine Badali said.

Badali said she spoke to Sister Gilberte from Yaounde where she was scheduled to meet President Paul Biya.

She said Gilberte did not talk about being abused while in captivity; that she was talkative, in good health and thankful for those who prayed for her.

"The way they prayed together and supported one and other nourished their strength and courage.  She's a woman of faith and it came through in her voice, it didn't sound like she was afraid,” Badali said.

There are no details surrounding her release, but she was transported by plane to central Cameroon where she went to the Canadian embassy.

The Congregation said it was too early to determine if its missionary work in northern Cameroon would be cutback.

"We're going to speak to those involved but they don't have concerns to be quite honest, they've integrated so well," Badali said.

But Badali said 6 hours before she was kidnapped Sister Gilberte sent an email to the Congregation saying the area was becoming dangerous because of two rebel groups.

Sister Gilberte will be back in Canada as soon as possible.  It is unsure if she will stay permanently, but the congregation says her heart is in Cameroon.  Originally from Asbestos, Quebec, she had been working there on various education missions since 1979.


Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here. You DO NOT need to be a member to comment.

Share this article: