UPDATED: SQ wants driver who videotaped school minivan driving recklessly to step forward

A man driving on the 40 westbound between Sources and St. John's says he noticed a minivan tailgating him, and when he saw the school sign on the minivan and the vehicle filled with kids, he followed the driver and videotaped him.

In the video, you see the school minivan driving over 100 km/h in a 70 km/h zone, and weaving in and out of traffic.

“I stopped filming because he noticed me and it was getting dangerous, he started following me at speed, I was driving to get away from him and he was zigzagging through traffic like a crazy person,” the man who wished to remain anonymous because he is also speeding in the video, told CJAD.

The man called the school transportation company, R. Crevier, to complain, but he says they were not interested.

CJAD spoke to the owner, Robert Crevier, Tuesday morning; he was unavailable for an interview but said he received a complaint from a citizen and the Sûreté du Québec.

He said it was the employee's first offence, that he gave him a warning and he could be fired after three.

The school minivan was transporting students from the Commission Scolaire des Trois-Lacs.

A spokesperson says they followed up with R. Crevier, to make sure the driver received a warning.

The board has not contacted parents about it.  The spokesperson said they would consider it, if they receive complaints following the video.

The general manager of Quebec’s bus owners federation Luc Lafrance, says he also contacted the company to find out how the driver would be disciplined.

Lafrance says he agrees with the company's decision to give three warnings before firing the driver.  He says each member deals with infractions their own way but they do have a code of ethics.

The Sûreté du Québec also wants to speak to the person who took the video.

Constable Benoit Richard says they need the witness to file a police report and when  he does, he will receive two tickets, for speeding and using a video camera while driving.

"They are as reckless as the person in front, if they see an infraction they need to call us right away with the license plate number, don't follow and do an infraction youself," Richard said.

The witness says he will not file a police report.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. John posted on 06/03/2014 07:44 AM
    Hmmmm everyday driving in Quebec both should have gotten a ticket speeding in a 70 other then that not much else is happening
  2. Ryan posted on 06/03/2014 07:44 AM
    Who would want this idiot picking up their kids. That's insane !
  3. LMAO posted on 06/03/2014 08:01 AM
    CJAD spoke to the owner, Robert Crevier, Tuesday morning; he was unavailable for an interview but said he received a complaint from a citizen and the Sureté du Québec.

He said it was the employee's first offence and he could only be fired after three.

So this driver can have two more opportunities to kill the kids under his care and there is nothing anyone can do to stop him driving like this?? It seems like this school bus company needs to re-write its rules or look for a different cargo to haul.

I would be seething is this was my kids school bus. If this company has no way to deal with this kind of situation then the school board needs to hire a different company to bus it's kids. Are our kids not the most precious cargo we transport around?
    1. jawnie posted on 06/03/2014 04:00 PM
      @LMAO were there any kids in the bus at the time of the chase?
  4. Darren posted on 06/03/2014 08:14 AM
    I live off the island near St Lazare, and for many years I have noticed these Crevier minivans. The reason I notice them is because they are ALWAYS going as fast as they can. I think the drivers are not paid hourly, but by how fast they can do their route.
  5. T5 posted on 06/03/2014 08:20 AM
    Really..that's it... I live on a small street where the busses come down with the pedal punched to the floor.. you hear the motors winding right up.. if anything was to pop up in front of these buses, no way they would stop in time.. but seems today, these things are acceptable (sarcasm)
  6. Jon posted on 06/03/2014 08:23 AM
    Why is no one pointing out the driver that recorded the video is illegally using an electronic device while driving? Where are the police in this case? Where are the charges against both drivers?
    1. jay posted on 06/03/2014 11:10 AM
      @Jon I have to agree, the guy filming is driving just as fast in a construction zone while holding a cellphone.
    2. Ian posted on 06/03/2014 02:36 PM
      @Jon Yup, that makes a lot of sense when someone is reporting a dangerous situation and getting proof of it (which is what you need nowadays, but as you can see the bus company says he needs 3 complaints so it's OK (sarcasm)), we now question the exact legal status of the person doing the reporting. Maybe we should find out if he pays his taxes or helps little old ladies across the street or not. Don't try to deflect attention from the perpetrator, but then again maybe you drive like this WITH KIDS IN THE CAR, so now you want to defend it.
  7. Traveller posted on 06/03/2014 08:29 AM
    My husband and I drive in on the 40E into Vaudreuil everyday and a couple of times have been cut off by a minivan from this company (no signaling and from all accounts doesn't check their blind spot)-- the minivan that cut us off looked more like an old school box minivan. But definitely the same company.
  8. Ray S posted on 06/03/2014 08:34 AM
    If the school bus driver was speeding (although 75 in a 70 zone hardly qualifies) and driving dangerously, the filmer was just as bad - if not worse.

Matter of fact, from the majority of the video, the bus is simply following the flow of traffic and moving past drivers who are NOT following the flow but rather blocking lanes.

And jusging by some of the 3-lane swerves and moves to squeeze in, the filmer is the real culprit who should be charged!

Much ado about nothing. I suspect that the filmer was rejected for a bus drivers job and may simply be bitter and trying to put a bad spin on nothing.
    1. jrhoja posted on 06/03/2014 10:34 AM
      @Ray S aw shuddup - someone has to report these speeders and if the police aren't there, someone has to do it. Where's your sense of civic duty in this case? Stick your finger on the phone pad and call the company who hires these idiots.
  9. Terry posted on 06/03/2014 08:34 AM
    So the police have the video and an eyewitness. They also received a complaint. Will they issue tickets? Probably not. Will the bus company follow this driver on his rounds? Will concerned citizens keep an eye on him? Every year there are school bus safety campaigns focusing on the behaviour of motorists and school children. The school bus drivers are never monitored. How many have you seen that fail to use the advance orange and flashing red lights properly. Thank goodness the bad school bus drivers are in the minority.
  10. clint posted on 06/03/2014 08:36 AM
    Not using a dash-cam is the first offense i see.....breaking the speed-limit and erratic lane changes are the second and third offenses......now if the vehicle was posted as an amber alert and the driver was following it to report to police....you may have a case....other than that....both drivers should be ticketed.
    1. Ian posted on 06/03/2014 02:42 PM
      @clint Yup 'cause everyone has a dash-cam installed in their car but some of us just can't seem to find it when we need it! So I guess then the next logical thing is a cell phone but no that's a incredibly illegal too....so let's see, hey I got it, let's just do nothing cause after all they ain't my kids and tut-tut, we wouldn't want to break the law! Kinda like not intervening on a RAPE in progress because it's happening on someone's property and we wouldn't want to trespass would we?
  11. ric posted on 06/03/2014 08:38 AM
    Why are idiots and criminals always being protected? The police should ticket the school bus driver and suspend his driver's license, they've done it before with video proof. Why can't the company fire that driver or at least suspend him. All the parents should refuse to send their kids with that driver. Surely he's been doing this all along, he finally got caught.
    1. joeN posted on 06/03/2014 07:46 PM
      @ric This is quebec and the SQ is another useless public service consuming tax dollars so some beer guzzling police officer get a $60K salary for doing what they excel in, doing nothing!
  12. Paul posted on 06/03/2014 08:49 AM
    Seems to me that the cameraman was driving just as recklessly as the minivan was if not more so. Plus he was holding and aiming the camera while driving...
    1. Dan posted on 06/03/2014 09:41 AM
      @Paul Yeah, but he's not a school bus driver with a van full of other people's kids.
  13. Mike posted on 06/03/2014 09:00 AM
    I heard about this on the radio this morning. It is all over the news and the story was a frightening one to listen to indeed! However, after viewing the video I am undecided as to the seriousness of the claim that the van driver was driving like a maniac, as was reported, and/or that this is even a newsworthy item that deserves air time. He was speeding, that much is certain, but many others were also and the 70 limit in this zone is never respected in any event. In fact, if you were to go 70 along this stretch you could possibly cause an accident given that drivers are so impatient here in this city, even in construction zones. the van bus driver does drive skillfully, I must say, even though he passes cars on his right. Moreover, he is not going that much faster than the speed of the traffic. A little, yes, but not to the point where it looks dangerous. I have seen horrific examples of driving that made my hair stand on end. This footage does not come close to what would be assessed as dangerous driving. Careless to a degree, yes, I suppose, but not overly disconcerting. Difficult to judge.
    1. Bernie posted on 06/03/2014 11:04 AM
      @Mike Right on, Mike! Once again, radio makes the primary event sound worse than it is, while failing to comment on the secondary event which may in fact be more obnoxious. The primary event (van full of kids speeding) is indeed a serious issue, but watching the video you simply don't get the impression there's anything out of the ordinary. The secondary event is some guy with a camera weaving in and out trying to keep up with the primary offender! This is in fact the source of most road rage incidents: some gets mad at some else's stupidity and takes matters into their own hands, rather than calmly reporting it and staying safe themselves. Let's all stay safe.
    2. Ian posted on 06/03/2014 02:54 PM
      @Mike Well I guess you have pretty low standards. It's one thing if you are alone in the car or with your own kids, but doing this with others lives in your responsibility is not the same. He crossed solid line (offense #1), PASSED ON THE RIGHT (NUMEROUS) (OFFENSE #2) AND WAS SPEEDING AT LEAST 30 KPH ABOVE THE LIMIT (OFFENSE #3). How many are tolerable,
      don't you need a special license to "bus" people around? Shouldn't that build in more care than the usual crappy driving?
  14. Mary Scullion posted on 06/03/2014 10:33 AM
    Lets not SHOOT THE MESSENGER...Yes the Guy with the video camera this was speeding..However I would be thankful to him if my child was in that bus. As to having to have 3 complaints ..fine..if it is about trivial matters..BUT when the driver breaks a traffic law..endangers the lives of children and other drivers on the road..I think that warrants an immediate dismissal .
    1. Arthur posted on 06/03/2014 05:32 PM
      @Mary Scullion I agree, if his actions saved a child's life, I say use common sense, lets face it, by the time he pulls over and calls the police, there is no proof and they wont do a thing. I remember when police where here to protect and serve, not harass citizens doing what? oh ya the job they the police should be doing.

They police say they need the video, why? They just said he should have called them, and then there would be no video, if they need it to press charges against the bus driver, ah well, you get the idea
  15. Murray posted on 06/03/2014 11:21 AM
    For an attitude such as Crevier's they should lose their license for transporting people
  16. Melissa posted on 06/03/2014 12:46 PM
    Wait, so this minivan is driving recklessly and he isn't?
    I am pretty sure operating a phone while driving is illegal and reckless.
    Just sayin'. Don't call out someone else on their driving if you're doing something just as bad.
    1. Ian posted on 06/03/2014 03:01 PM
      @Melissa Yup, don't you dare break even the teensiest, weensiest law to show completely irresponsible behavior with other peoples kids. The camera man was alone in the car (i know him personally) and NOT with other peoples kids, so while he was breaking the law, he did so because the van was tail-gaiting him and then driving poorly when in fact he should be the opposite of everyone else.
    2. Ed posted on 06/03/2014 05:09 PM
      @Melissa "...doing something just as bad." ??? Did I miss something in the story where it said the guy filming also had a whole bunch of children in the vehicle?
  17. Ross posted on 06/03/2014 12:53 PM
    Hey Barry,

I viewed the video 4 times. I agree the driver was driving above the ''construction speed limit'' of 70kmh but than again so were every other vehicle on that stretch of highway. Did you notice any construction, workers or heavy machinery? Neither did I.

The driver also changed lanes about 5-7 times but always maintained consistent speed. Yes it was 100 kmh then again the majority of drivers maintain this speed on Quebec highways.

This driver did not drive in any manner to be considered reckless or dangerous driving according to the ''Code de la Securite Routiere du Quebec. He should be met with by his employer and reprimanded for driving faster than the speed limit but FIRED.... absolutely not.

I feel the person filming the situation while driving is considered more dangerous than the bus driver. In fact, he was more focused on capturing the video, his speedometer, he too was changing lanes to make sure he filmed the writing on the bus and also driving in the left lane (the passing lane) to capture the bus driver in yet another angle all this was being done while being oblivious to what was happening on the road around him.

Somebody should warn that driver that his full attention should be given to others on the road around him rather than filming what I consider to be ''exaggerate'' footage. Remind him how quickly accidents happen and have him listen to your story about the highway accident involving ducks!!!!!

Driving while manipulating a mobile phone in your hands either filming, texting or talking is much more dangerous than what the bus driver was doing. Using a mobile device takes much attention and concentration that which is taken away while one is suppose to be focused on the happenings of the road.

I see it every day and I see the results..... many victims, damage to property and yet that behavior does not change.

Regards,

Ross
    1. Ian posted on 06/03/2014 03:08 PM
      @Ross Hey Ross, in case you didn't notice, the bus driver was doing at least 3 illegal things (speeding, lane changes over solid lines and passing on the right). Did you notice how he hardly got passed, except in perhaps one or two occasions? He was overtaking others, but I guess it's not so bad when you have OTHER PEOPLES KIDS IN YOUR CARE! I am not defending the cameraman's illegal maneuvers to film the subject but too often I see this kind of thing and nothing happens because when you "report" it to the police, it ends up being his word against yours and nothing happens. This kind of action is spur of the moment and with good intention but not necessarily legal. Then again how often do we find out about bad behavior because of someone filming, should we ignore it because it was not legally obtained?
    2. Dan posted on 06/03/2014 04:58 PM
      @Ross So if I don't see any construction workers, I don't have to obey the speed limit? Wow, I wish they told me that in driving school, I could have saved a lot of time by now.

The filming driver may be holding a camera, but he is not holding the lives of several other people's children. My guess is that the bus driver doesn't have any children, thus doesn't know what it's like to worry about them.

The filmer may have sped up temporarily to film the event, but presumably the bus driver drives like that all the time, and how fast does he go when it's not a construction zone? I'm afraid to think of it.

School bus drivers are supposed to be professional drivers, as they are carrying the most valuable cargo in the world. If my children were on a school bus, I would expect nothing less than driving according to the exact letter of the rules of the road. Anything less and he should be fired. I'm sure there would be plenty of careful, responsible drivers waiting to take his place.
  18. Kari posted on 06/03/2014 01:40 PM
    Its a shock to me as I read the posts from other people.
    The FACT is that this idiot is driving 100 kms an hour in a 70 km hour zone with a van full of CHILDREN.
    I dont care about the guy filming, hes done a great service to the parents of the children whos lives were put in danger.
    If you watch the video, this school bus driver is PASSING JUST ABOUT EVERYONE who is probably going the 70 km an hour speed limit and in the RIGHT hand lane at times.
    Its amazing to me that anything else about this entire video is important other than those children on that bus.
    He should be FIRED AND FINED.
    Thanks to the person who brought this to the attention of the media.
    I dont care about unions or protecting this driver.
    THREE strikes???? The next time might be enough, it could be a fatal accident.
    1. Melissa posted on 06/03/2014 03:11 PM
      @Kari And the guy filming could cause a fatal accident as well... ramming into a minivan like this with children. You should care about the guy filming... as he is endangering people's lives.
    2. GT posted on 06/03/2014 07:50 PM
      @Kari This is the quebecois way, no??
  19. Kathy posted on 06/03/2014 03:34 PM
    Just to say I am beside or behind or in front of a Crevier or Transdev school van almost every afternoon on the way home from work and their drivers are all reckless as far as I am concerned. Many times they are speeding and tailgating with children aboard. I too left a message once before and they said they would look into it.
  20. Mary posted on 06/03/2014 03:50 PM
    If he had turned on a camera and videoed it, that would have been okay? He'd have one less fine? Montreal (we) should chip in and pay his fines for him....
  21. JennyA posted on 06/03/2014 04:25 PM
    I drive this corridor of the 40 on a daily basis and I have seen these Crevier Transport Scolaire Mini Vans drive carelessly & without regard for any speed limits MANY times! I would be absolutely appalled if it was my children being transported to school by this company!
  22. Roger posted on 06/03/2014 05:04 PM
    I don't need to watch the video because I've been seeing these minivans going around the area for many years now, mostly as they're flooring it past me on a two-lane road when I'm already going the speed limit.

To the people who are commenting on the driving of the guy filming: YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!!!
    1. joe posted on 06/05/2014 01:21 AM
      @Roger The point is reckless drivers endangering children, no? Filming while driving, and breaking same traffic laws, chasing van full of children. Check, check, and check....whatever happened to taking down license plate number, and calling police?
  23. janice posted on 06/03/2014 05:09 PM
    The only thing that i see wrong here is that no one is observing the speed limit of 70.... and we wonder why there have been an increase in accidents in this area. Other drivers shoot you dirty looks if you actually do 70km in the construction zone. The driver filming this is just at fault as the bus driver is.
  24. Francis posted on 06/03/2014 05:31 PM
    I don't see a minivan driving dangerously. I see it following traffic, and in some cases passing slower traffic. If everyone is driving 100 in the construction zone, the minivan has to also, so IT doesn't become the hazard. The guy filming is using an electronic device at the wheel, and focusing on his speedometer, and his camera, not on the road. He deserves the ticket.
  25. Mick posted on 06/03/2014 06:18 PM
    Nothing surprise me, the entire world is going berserk. The police should be thankful for this video, sometimes we have to break the law in order to have the events brought to the view of the people in charge. Now do you think this person to be so stupid as to go and sign a complaint. The cops are just playing the game and do not want to look careless in this event. No complaint no real infraction.
    Thiamine square syndrome I guess.
    The school commission in this district should cancel their contract on this issue alone for the company will probably allow this driver to use their vehicle to transport other school children.
showing 1-25 of 33 comments · show all comments