Montreal mayor wants all anti-homeless spikes removed

Mayor Denis Coderre has caught wind of more spikes to keep homeless people away from businesses and he says the city will not stop until they're all gone.

At least two more businesses with different versions of anti-homeless spikes have been discovered since the first ones spotted outside Archambault caused uproar last week.

The businesses acted fast to remove the spikes with pressure from the city and citizens.

But Mayor Coderre says the city will do an inventory to find out where the spikes are located across the city, and get them removed.

“This is not the kind of society that I want to live in.  I understand that some people think this is the best way, but no it’s not, there’s other ways to take care of situations and there’s no such thing as two classes of citizens.”

Coderre says he has a right to get the spikes removed on behalf of public security.

But, he says, if the city needs to put in place a bylaw it will do it.

The opposition is asking Coderre not to wait and to ban the spikes now.

1. Joel posted on 06/17/2014 10:01 AM
    The mayor wants private business to allow homeless people to be able to sleep on their doorstep and deter customers from looking at their display windows or entering their stores, but the city won't let those same homeless people sleep in their parks or subways. That's a bit two-faced.

I wonder what the mayor would do if they started sleeping on city hall steps or in front of his house.
  2. pat posted on 06/17/2014 11:35 AM
    What we need is a revolution.. We need the homeless, the poor and the supressed to come together and start a major uprising to bring down Capitalism. It is Capitalism that is to blame for the homeless in the first place..
  3. Enzo posted on 06/17/2014 12:45 PM
    Why, in all of the media reports, are Archambault and McDonald's named for all to see, but the other places where these spikes have been used, are still anonymous? Seems like a double standard to me
  4. Joe posted on 06/17/2014 01:01 PM
    Our great mayor states “This is not the kind of society that I want to live in. I understand that some people think this is the best way, but no it’s not, there’s other ways to take care of situations and there’s no such thing as two classes of citizens.”

If there are other ways to take care of situations, why is he not using them.
    What oh what are you doing to get the homeless off the street Mayor Coderre?
    You are doing NOTHING.

I would invite all homeless people to sleep on the steps of City Hall and if you know where Coderre lives sleep on his property.
  5. Lid posted on 06/17/2014 01:06 PM
    This is ridiculous!
    I'm sorry, but if I had a business I would not want my storefront flooding with homeless people. How many times have I decided to not enter a store because a homeless man decided it would be nice to pull down his pants and have a crap!? Many! How many potential customers are lost? Many! That being said, it is not up to the owners of a store to shelter the homeless. It is the job of the government! Like someone else posted, the city won't let the homeless sleep in subways or parks. Why? No one will approach those areas afterwards... Solution: give them somewhere to go! build freaking shelters!
  6. Trevor Stebbing posted on 06/17/2014 02:31 PM
    A good move by the Mayor and SHAME on the businesses that were and are doing this. Talk about spiteful !!
    1. YouClearlyDownOwnABusiness posted on 06/18/2014 12:15 PM
      @Trevor Stebbing As a business owner, I'd much rather call police every hour because no one does anything about it, then it'll cost 50-80k$/year to jail the *one* guy that'll get arrested for whatever the cops will decide after my 100th call.

A month later we start over. Talk about a nice society of hypocrites. I'm sure you're the first one to complain the cops were late. Yes they were, they were clearing the homeless people from my business front for the 1000th time so I can TRY to make some money and not giving it all to them so they move along.
  7. Kari posted on 06/19/2014 06:43 PM
    Of course " spikes " are not the answer.
    Perhaps flower boxes or just uneven bumpy sidewalks would do the trick.
    The best "trick" is finding places for these poor people to sleep, stay warm in winter and have a meal.
    Its called humanity.