UPDATE: Neighbour sending cats’ home with threatening letters around neck

On the West Island, someone who doesn't like to see cats wandering the neighbourhood has for at least the second time sent a pointed warning to owners.

Rose, a Roxboro resident who asked not to be named to protect her family, says her kids were shocked when they came home and found their family cat had been beaten.

"They found Bear sitting on the step with a cord around his neck and on it was a note. They could tell right away that he had been abused to his face. The rope was tied so tight they couldn't get it off," she explained.

That note warned the family, that if the cat showed up on the neighbour's property again, it would not be returning home.

“It was a shock, violation to our animal in an area where we are really comfortable with our neighbours, people who know Bear love him, it was really disturbing to us,” she said.

It’s not the first time something like this happens in the neighbourhood.  Nancy Price, another Roxboro resident, says last summer her cat went missing for three days and when it returned it had the same letter around its neck.

“When I heard about it, I went oh my god, the note!” Price said.

The families are distributing notices around the neighbourhood to warn all cat owners.

“Everybody, all the neighbours, we feel terrible,” Price said.

She says they want to find other victims because they are sure they are not the only ones.

The police are investigating.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Animal lover posted on 06/20/2014 06:47 AM
    It shouldn't take authorities long to track the notes. This person needs help.
    1. smerg posted on 06/23/2014 01:08 PM
      @Animal lover This person needs an up close and personal session with a cattle prod!
  2. Maki posted on 06/20/2014 06:52 AM
    Honestly. I have pets. I dont agree with hurting animals. I dont want other peoples pets on my property. Cats agravate my dog. They try to come in and im allergic. These cats are they flea treated? Are they vaccinated? I understand the notemakers frustration. Again I dont wanna hurt animals but cats are annoying and persistant.
    1. Waldaeo posted on 06/20/2014 09:52 AM
      @Maki So much cat hate.
    2. thomas posted on 06/20/2014 11:14 AM
      @Maki It does not mean you threaten to kill a defensless animal. It's not the animals fault. It's like if your kids come on my property can I attach a rope on them with a note?
  3. John posted on 06/20/2014 08:15 AM
    I tend to agree with the supposed 'cat hater'! I am a dog owner and need to pay a permit to actually keep my dog, keep it on a leash at all times, am responsible for its actions and can get sued because of it. Meanwhile random cats roaming the neighbourhood peeing,going thru garbage,making a mess everywhere is acceptable behaviour? Cat owners keep your cats on a leash as well!
    1. Jessica posted on 06/20/2014 02:26 PM
      @John UH NO, I have 2 cats and a dog. ALL my pets are registered with the city. My outdoor cat is microchipped and vaccinated, more than I can say for MANY dogs in my area (West Island as well) What this "person" is doing is beyond unacceptable. there is no excuse for hurting an animal.
    2. booboo posted on 06/21/2014 08:21 PM
      @John You could replace the word "cat" with raccoon and yet no one complains about the raccoons. Bizarre.
  4. Rich posted on 06/20/2014 08:23 AM
    I love animals, i have both a cat and a dog,
    that being said... Keep your cats inside,
    you wouldn't leave a dog to wander the streets and
    go to the bathroom on other peoples property, why is it ok
    for a cat? I had a cat that sprayed on the tree on my front lawn
    and it stank for a month. Keep you animals on your own property.
    1. Animalprotector posted on 06/20/2014 08:26 PM
      @Rich Listen, cats can be annoying I agree. I have five of my own. They are all fixed. treated for rabies, and well trained. People often think cats are stupid or cant do anything. People train your cats to keep within your yard or put them on a leash.

But who ever this idiot is hurting these animals better stay outta of my area cause if I catch them. they'll get the same treatment
  5. Love cats posted on 06/20/2014 08:33 AM
    He/she really likes their garden so look for someone who gardens everyday. My guess older, maybe retired. This individual should be publicly identified and pressured to move - preferably to a nursing home with "kind" people. Despicable act, completely unnecessary when alternatives are available.
  6. Ryan posted on 06/20/2014 08:33 AM
    If they own cats keep them on their own property, not have them running all over the place loose, and breeding more wild cats to run loose. It's over populated with wild loose cats already.
  7. Cheryl posted on 06/20/2014 08:41 AM
    I just double-checked online and Pierrefonds-Roxboro, like most municipalites, has a by-law against pets (cats or dogs) running loose in the neighborhood. I can understand the family being upset, but the solution is very clear. Animals are not permitted to run loose and must be restricted to their home or property. If you obey the rules, you won't have the problem.
  8. Vic posted on 06/20/2014 08:58 AM
    I love animals, have had many species over the years, cat, dog, ferrets etc. This is completely unacceptable behaviour. The note, and hurting the cat. This is one of the reasons that cats can not be allowed outside with supervision and limits on where they go. For the sake of everyone's health and safety including the cat, cats need to be monitored while outdoors. Their lives are threatened by other animals, traffic, humans, and various illnesses and diseases not to mention poisons. This is why feral cats usual die so young and live such a hard life. Take Care of your animals.
  9. al posted on 06/20/2014 08:59 AM
    I don't have a cat or a dog..I really think the city should solve this problem as it's causes problems for the neighbors..Cats that shit and pee in vegetable & flower gardens and in the backyard sand boxes are a problem. So City of Roxboro solve this easy problem. Fine the people who let their cats out..It should be easy all cats should be license!
  10. Skibble5150 posted on 06/20/2014 09:09 AM
    The person who wrote that better keep himself anonymous for his own safety.
    If he were me, I would be very afraid for my life after writing a note like that.

People that abuse animals deserve the same fate.
  11. Sam posted on 06/20/2014 09:22 AM
    I am an animal lover. I don't agree with hurting an animal in any way shape or form and if this "neighbor" has indeed hit or harmed this cat then I think he/she should be arrested.
    However with that being said, I also agree with some of the points in the letter. Letting your cat out is a stupid idea. I mean ROSE says this is not the first time this has happened and yet she puts her cat back out there ? If it comes home hurt and has been missing for 3 days once before then she has to be some kind of special to keep letting him out. When I let my cats out, they are in my back yard with my supervision as I don't want them to get lost/hurt/ or fall into the wrong hands. I take care of my animals. Maybe the rest of you who do as ROSE does should get a clue.
    1. Mark posted on 06/21/2014 10:31 AM
      @Sam If you listened to the story or took the time to properly read the article you would see that Rose was saying that after the incident she learned that it had happened to other cats in the neighbourhood, not her own.
    2. line posted on 06/21/2014 05:10 PM
      @Sam actually if you read this right it says 2 different persons received letter for 2 different cats...not the same one that put her cat out again...
  12. george posted on 06/20/2014 09:26 AM
    There are other ways of dealing with he problem then writing notes like that. Call animal control, the city, etc.

To the cowards who did this: Karma is ugly :)
  13. Waldaeo posted on 06/20/2014 10:15 AM
    I can't believe the comments on here! Where are all the cat people?!?

I have a cat and it goes outside, as it should, because it's a cat... Most of my neighbors love my cat, but those that don't just ignore it and go with their lives... I have never had a problem with anyone complaining about my cat, but of course I would listen and do my best to accommodate if someone was to complain. I feel as though this 'cat hater' has too much time on his/her hands, and obviously was never hugged as a child. In my mind, abuse towards animals is unacceptable, no matter what the situation.

While I like dogs just fine, I do not agree with those who say cats are destructive, disease ridden, flea ridden, etc... Also, I'm sorry, but your dog just takes a huge dump on my front lawn (and then you walk away without picking it up), while my cat digs a nice little hole in your garden, then covers it up afterwards! When is the last time you saw a cat doing it's business out in the open? Probably never. Pretty sure your dog "sprays" every tree it sees...
    1. Geo posted on 06/21/2014 06:15 PM
      @Waldaeo I hope the nutcase who did this is caught, put on trial and convicted.

BTW - Waldaeo - Your cat may dig a little hole on MY property in MY garden and cover it up. It took a dump on My property and I have to clean it up every morning so I can get rid of the million flies near my vegetables. Disgusting.

Just because I didn't see your cat shitting on my lawn doesn't make it OK.
  14. mary scullion posted on 06/20/2014 10:45 AM
    There is NO REASON to harm an animal, there are many harmless way's to keep cats off your property. CATS need to be SPAYED !!! that I do agree on, this will keep the cat population from growing. Cats are useful they keep the rodent population down. As for keeping a cat from your propery ..use a hose ..buy the cat be gone kit..they say mothballs in your garden keeps them away. BUT I would be royaly P...ed off if anyone touched my pet
    1. Joe posted on 06/21/2014 05:03 PM
      @mary scullion How about putting the onus on the owners. You have mentioned all the ways to stop this from happening except the owner taking responsibility of their pet, which in your words its ok for a animal (after all that is what they are because you seem to be one of those people that think their pets are humans) to do their business wherever they please and the other non animal owners are to supposed to spend their money to stop a problem caused by a irresponsible owner..
  15. Carol Ann Beeby posted on 06/20/2014 10:56 AM
    I am also a pet lover......However I am tired as well as seeing all these cats roaming around .. They pass through my property and do their business in my garden....I don't understand how cat owners think it is okay to let their cats roam free. I think it is time that Cat Owners take responsibility for their cats.....Keep them on a leash or keep them inside.
  16. Genevieve posted on 06/20/2014 11:09 AM
    Similar thing happened to us, only our neighbour knocked on our door and had our cat in his arms. Threatened to "take care of him" should our cat go back in his yard. Meanwhile his cat pees all over out car, patio door and outdoor furniture. I've kept my cat indoors ever since as this neighbour is strange and I don't want to risk my cat getting hurt. I'm in pierrefonds.
  17. Shirley posted on 06/20/2014 11:14 AM
    I don't appreciate Cats coming into my Garden and Yard and doing their business either, I cant begin to count how many times I have to clean up so my kids don't step in it. VERY inconsiderate ion the part of local Cat owners. Keep them inside, where they are a lot safer. I would like to catch them myself and deliver them to the SPCA, so no sympathy from me.
  18. Tony Fregapane posted on 06/20/2014 11:21 AM
    Cats should not be left to wonder out in the neighborhood. Pet owners keep your pets on your property. I do not agree with abusing animals. You have pets keep them on your property.
  19. Donna posted on 06/20/2014 11:51 AM
    Residents should watch for this person or people and report them!!! I am sick and tired of people who abuse animals!!! They should be brought to justice in the same way that they hurt these animals!! This has to stop!!!
  20. Joy posted on 06/20/2014 12:17 PM
    People making comments are missing the point. There is a threat made to hurt an animal. That is a criminal mind. How is that not understood???
  21. Ann posted on 06/20/2014 12:31 PM
    I don't agree with the way this family pet was treated, but I have to say, as a 2 dog owner, cats should NOT be allowed to roam free, killing birds and squirrels (yes, I've witnessed it) for sport, susceptible to disease and danger on the street as well as pooping in sand boxes! Please people, take cake of your cats!
  22. Linda posted on 06/20/2014 12:48 PM
    As an owner of a both dogs and cats (indoor only), animal rescuer and all around animal lover I cannot condone with the person who allegedly hurt this poor cat. I say poor because it is not its fault that he has been allowed to roam. I do on the other hand understand his frustration with people who allow their cats to roam freely and damage others property. Neighborhood cats urinate around my house, defecate in my flower gardens and have torn down a piece of material under my front deck where they take up residence in the winter months. Why should I be responsible to fix their mess?
    1. Jen posted on 06/27/2014 03:00 PM
      @Linda Sounds as though these are feral cats.
      Cats who have a good home do not "take up residence" under a deck in the winter months just to annoy us. They are doing what all living creatures do - sheltering from the bitter cold.....& freezing to death.
      Why do people not mention the rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs, skunks & foxes that pass through our streets & properties ? Do THEY not relieve themselves ,too ?!
      I believe that all cats & dogs should be spayed & neutered.There are too many unwanted animals put to death every day. What we need in this borough is a continuous Catch/Neuter/Release program for feral cats.
  23. Sandy McLeod posted on 06/20/2014 01:25 PM
    I have 3 cats and a dog. Although I don't agree with this persons method, I do agree with keeping the cats in doors!! What is wrong with these people anyways, your cat belongs inside. I would hate to see something happen to any cat but they do cause problems. Around my house I have a few strays, that's different, they do not have a home but if you own a cat, keep it inside! Also, make sure your pet is neutered/spayed and micro chipped.
  24. Allison posted on 06/20/2014 01:40 PM
    I am really disgusted by the comments of dog owners. You can let your dogs bark in your backyards, i.e. noise pollution, but god help us should a cat dig around in a tomato plant, the poor thing should be beaten and never see the light of day, grass, etc? Someone has way too much time on their hands and money to own so much land/property to be obsessively watching their lawn grow in a psychotic fashion as to do what they have done to these poor animals. Shameful and I'm surprised neighbors are not knocking on each others' doors to figure out themselves who is responsible as quite frankly what's next - your kid keeps punting a ball into my garden, next time he won't be coming home?? Also, in the city, you actually do need a permit to keep a cat and pay for such, and they must be spayed and vaccinated.
  25. Vicky posted on 06/20/2014 01:47 PM
    That is disgusting.

If someone's kid showed up on my lawn I wouldn't beat them and try a rope around their neck so tights you cant take it off with a threatening note.

Just because its a cat and not a human people seem to think its ok. WELL ITS NOT! We're talking about another life. These are living creatures and dont deserve to be treated like that.

I have 2 cats and a dog. I live in a neighbourhood full of cats and dogs and cats come on my property often. I have never seen a cat do any damage to my property. Raccoons tear up trash and make a mess, not cats.

I can only imagine what these psychos do to raccoons or squirrels.

Meanwhile humans are the ones that have barged in on their territory and destroyed their homes and then complain when they are going around trying to find scraps to eat.

Humans are the ones that decide that they're gonna get a cat or dog at a pet and then abandon it. There are so many stray cats everywhere and its our fault.

So stop complaining about your precious property. Because if a cat wondering through (and basically being A CAT) bothers you so much then so must every other wild animal. So build a fence and stop your whining.
    1. Jen posted on 06/27/2014 03:03 PM
      @Vicky Right on, neighbour !
showing 1-25 of 51 comments · show all comments