St-Jérôme mom fined for leaving kids in car while doing groceries

PHOTO: La Presse

A mother in St-Jérôme has been fined after leaving her two young children in a vehicle while doing groceries.

Employees at the Maxi and Cie grocery store at the Carrefour du Nord noticed two young children in a vehicle and called police.

St-Jérôme police spokesperson Jean-François Gratton says when they arrived on the scene a 4-year-old and 8-year-old were sweating in the parked vehicle.  The windows were left slightly opened.

“When we opened the doors to the vehicle it was very, very hot, 37 degrees with the humidity,” he said.

The 8-year-old opened the door for the officers.  Gratton says it took them 15 to 20 minutes to locate the mother in the store.

Gratton says she told police the children had asked to stay in the car.

She was fined 60 dollars and police alerted child protection.

The children were not seriously injured, if they had been, the mother could have been charged with negligence.

Gratton wants to remind people to never leave a child in a vehicle no matter the temperature.

1. Kari posted on 07/03/2014 01:43 PM
    So, let me get this straight....................if the children had been seriously injured the mother would have been charged with negligence?
    What do you call leaving the children in the car in the first place? Good parenting?
    This is child abuse plain and simple.
    A sixty dollar fine? Absolutely unacceptable.
    How long were they in the car before police were called, how long did it take for them to get there and then 15-20 minutes to find the mother in the store ( who was probably not finished shopping yet). Who knows how much longer the children would have been in that stifling car.
    Cudos to the people who called police, they probably avoided a horrible tragedy.
  2. Seriously posted on 07/03/2014 01:46 PM
    Idiots like this is why you should have to obtain a permit to have children.
  3. Geo posted on 07/03/2014 02:51 PM
    Fined ? 60 dollars ??? She should have been arrested and charged with negligence. Period.
    When my children were young, I never let them out of my sight. Let alone in a car on a hot day. Unimaginable. Intolerable !

Are there still some people who are stupid enough to do this ?

If I was king-of-the-world, she would have been arrested, her car impounded, jail time and her kids looked after properly while she sweats behind bars.
  4. D posted on 07/03/2014 03:50 PM
    One word: IDIOT!!!!!
  5. Jerry posted on 07/03/2014 04:13 PM
    Welcome / Bienvenue to ' No Fault Quebec' where you're never at fault for any wrong doing; and a being cash hungry government, we see this not as a crime against defenceless little children but as a means to generate money for our every corrupt government officials...... $60.00 plus a $30.00 fee will go a long way for our Christmas Bonus
  6. George73 posted on 07/03/2014 04:46 PM
    Really? Some people are just too stupid to be allowed to have kids.
  7. Katie posted on 07/03/2014 05:44 PM
    Personally, I think one police officer should have taken the kids for ice cream while the other obliged the mother to sit in the same position that the children were in earlier. I'm sure she loves her kids and that would have helped her understand the seriousness of her actions
    1. Lynne Marton posted on 07/04/2014 02:15 PM
      @Katie I don't think it would have made a difference - very sad, but true.
  8. ric posted on 07/03/2014 09:57 PM
    Littering is $100.00, how can this crime be a measley 60 bucks? She should have been charged with endangerment of minors and attempted manslaughter. A 40 year old idiot.
  9. More BS posted on 07/04/2014 06:10 AM
    Just watched a N.Y. City report about another idiot who did the same thing but he was arrested on the spot . Here in Quebec it is more profitable to fine this moron than charge her because that involves cost to the all wise government we have here.
    60 $ is more important than the lives of two innocent children.
  10. Sue posted on 07/04/2014 09:46 AM
    Before anything, I am NOT excusing what she did, especially on such a hot day.

I remember when I was a kid (twenty-odd years ago), parents would leave their kids in the car all the time if they were running in somewhere quickly and no one batted an eye because everyone did it. I remember talking to a neighbour through a partially open window while my mum ran into the bank a few times. Normally if it was really hot, she brought us in, but if it was just warm, she made sure we had cold drinks and that was that and we turned out fine.

I don't think she should be charged with anything more than she was, but the fine should probably be higher.
    1. Lynne Marton posted on 07/04/2014 02:22 PM
      @Sue You are so wrong - she definitely should have been charged. A fine of $60 is nothing but a little slap on the wrist. If anyone thinks that's a deterrent, they should think again. Who would like to bet she'll do it again? Anyone that would do it once and not be made to really feel they have done wrong will not even try to correct their behaviour - and in cases like this - it could end in tragedy!
    2. Richard posted on 07/06/2014 10:01 AM
      @Sue I agree with Sue. If they had a news story every time a kid was left in the car when I was young...that's all that would be on the news. 37 With the humidity? ( and don't get me started on BS humidex) Big deal! I used to play baseball and tackle football as a kid in temps like that...No-one died

I am not excusing what the Mother did either but kids today are fat lazy and can't read, write or add because society coddles them and is afraid to hurt their little feelings
  11. Jessica posted on 07/05/2014 09:11 AM
    Coming from someone who can never have children (due to severe medical issues), it breaks my heart knowing that people who are lucky enough to have these blessings (children), neglect and treat them in such a manner.... Children are a blessing; paremts need to take care of their children and protect them...and not put them in harms way by being selfish... Enjoy your children; love them, protect them, guide them and support them...