New city-owned animal shelter coming to Montreal by 2018

Mayor Denis Coderre says the animal euthanasia rate in Montreal is 50 percent, in Calgary it’s 7 percent.  

“It’s a disaster, if we have to kill one cat or one dog, out of two.  It’s a red flag and we’re sending a message that maybe we’re not responsible enough for our animals.”

The city has used Calgary as a model and last summer it announced the opening of a city owned shelter. 

Thursday Coderre unveiled its new location. The animal service centre will open by 2018 on Pie-IX, between 42nd and 47th Sts., in an industrial area of Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc-Extension.

He says the 23 million dollar facility will service 14 000 animals, each of them will be vaccinated, sterilized and microchipped.

Coderre is looking at other ways to help with animal responsibility, such as mandatory licensing and microchipping for all animals.

“In several cities of North America this is the kind of best practices that they’ve been applying, so why not us?  It’s a question of respecting life and having a better control.”

Coderre says a non-profit will run the facility, he hasn’t named which one yet, but used the SPCA and Berger Blanc as examples.

Projet Montreal says with the Berger Blanc’s controversial past the city will have to be vigilant when it makes a decision.

“We need to make sure that they are completely ethical in terms of their practices because of what happened in the past.  We need to be careful,” Anne-Marie Sigouin, city councillor with Projet Montreal said.

The shelter was originally set to open in the Angrignon farm of Angrignon Park but the city said Pie-IX would be a better location for the animal service centre.

It said the farm, which closed in the park in 2008, will now be reopening by 2019.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Rina posted on 07/10/2014 02:47 PM
    As soon as I read the first few lines, my heart stopped.. and was reminded of the horrible mistreatment of life at the hands of the Berger Blanc.. It frightens me to know that people like that, are given power over our lost or unwanted animals. I pray that the Mayor and his associates will carefully examine all aspects of this desperately needed project and award it to people who sincerely love and respect animals, without greed, or cruelty ..
  2. Cindy posted on 07/10/2014 07:02 PM
    Berger Blanc SHOULD NOT EVEN BE MENTIONED !!! Past history why give them a chance to screw it up So many better shelters out there NO TO BB & not a fan over location no green space & industrial zone
showing all comments

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News

  • Protesters return to scarred streets of Ferguson; more National Guard troops deployed

    FERGUSON, Mo. - Protesters returned to the riot-scarred streets of Ferguson on Tuesday, a day after crowds looted businesses and set fire to buildings in a night of rage against a grand jury's decision not to indict the white police officer who killed Michael Brown.

    But with hundreds of additional National Guard troops assisting police, the latest demonstrations had little of the chaos and destruction that erupted after Monday's announcement. Most clashes were relatively minor, although a squad car was set on fire, and police released some tear gas.

    Meanwhile, officer Darren Wilson broke his long public silence, insisting on national television that he could not have done anything differently in the confrontation with Brown.

    In the aftermath of Monday's violence, Missouri governor Jay Nixon sent a large contingent of extra National Guard troops, ordering the initial force of 700 to be increased to 2,200 in hopes that their presence would help local law enforcement keep order in the St. Louis suburb.

    "Lives and property must be protected," Nixon said. "This community deserves to have peace."

    The Guard presence was hard to miss. Guard units protected the Ferguson Police Department and left crowd control, arrests and use of tear gas to local officers.

    About 50 protesters converged on a barricade manned by 30 Guard members. The group chanted "Whose streets, our streets," ''This is what democracy looks like" and "Hands up don't shoot," a slogan that has become a rallying cry in protests over police killings.

    Outside police headquarters in Ferguson, one woman was taken into custody after protesters threw what appeared to be smoke bombs, flares and frozen water bottles at a line of officers. Several other protesters were arrested after defying police instructions to get out of the street or out of the way of police vehicles.

    As the day drew to a close, some streets that had been overrun the previous night were deserted, except for the occasional police cruiser or National Guard vehicle. Guard crews stood watch in empty parking lots.

    Other large demonstrations were held across the country for a second day. Hundreds of Seattle high school students walked out of classes, and several hundred people marched down a Cleveland freeway ramp to block rush-hour traffic.

    During an interview with ABC News, Wilson said he has a clean conscience because "I know I did my job right."

    Wilson, 28, had been with the Ferguson police force for less than three years before the Aug. 9 shooting. He told ABC Brown's shooting marked the first time he had fired his gun on the job.

    Attorneys for the Brown family vowed to push for federal charges against Wilson and said the grand jury process was rigged from the start to clear Wilson.

    "We said from the very beginning that the decision of this grand jury was going to be the direct reflection of the presentation of the evidence by the prosecutor's office," attorney Anthony Gray said. He suggested the office of the county's top prosecutor, Bob McCulloch, presented some testimony to discredit the process, including from witnesses who did not see the shooting.

    During Monday's protests, 12 commercial buildings in Ferguson burned down, and firefighters responded to blazes at eight others, fire officials said. Other businesses were looted, and 12 vehicles were torched.

    Natalie DuBose, owner of Natalie's Cakes and More, planned to spend Tuesday night at her business after a window was busted out on Monday.

    "This is my livelihood," she said. "This is the only source of income I have to raise my children."

    Read More
  • Fire at former Gray Rocks resort

    A major fire is burning at the historic Gray Rocks resort in the Laurentiens. Read More