UPDATE: Baby left in hot SUV at Rockland shopping center rescued

Montreal police say they had to break the window of a white SUV at the Rockland shopping mall this afternoon to rescue a young baby that had been left unattended in the vehicle.

Police were called to the parking lot of the shopping centre just before 3 this afternoon to rescue the boy, who's seven months old.

Police say the infant was sweaty and crying when they found him.

The car's owner was notified of the rescue over the mall's intercom, and arrived at the scene a short time later.

She will be met by police investigators.

Meanwhile, the child was taken to hospital as a precaution and is said to be fine.

1. Ronnie posted on 07/10/2014 04:34 PM
    This is ridiculous!
    When is this going to stop???? How many more kids need to suffer before parents UNDERSTAND that it is lethal to leave your kids in this heat!

I, for one, offer free broken windows to any owner/parents that leave kids or animal in their car like this. I even bought a nifty tool for just that use!
    1. Mel posted on 09/10/2014 08:30 AM
      @Ronnie What's this tool? Where can I find one?
  2. Geo posted on 07/10/2014 04:44 PM
    Here we go again.....
    Impound her car, arrest her, suspend her right to be a parent until she completes a mental health exam.

If I was the officer to meet with her face-to-face, I can't think of an excuse she could give me for her negligence.

A country is judged by the way they treat their children and their elderly - the helpless and the frail. We totally FAIL.

This will probably result in another 60 dollar fine....shameful...
    1. Patti posted on 07/11/2014 06:35 PM
      @Geo We'll said! I totally agree - should we really have to tell people not to leave a child like this ? C'mon where is common sense hiding these days?
  3. Kari posted on 07/10/2014 04:57 PM
    Its fine........................she'll get a $60 ticket and be on her way ( with her child ).
    Yet another moron.
    Maybe if the consequences of such child abuse were harsher these horrible parents would get the message,
  4. Steven posted on 07/10/2014 05:17 PM
    No worries its only a $60 fine . Same as a parking ticket !! What a joke this place is ......
  5. Frank posted on 07/10/2014 08:12 PM
    Please let people know what the law is in this circumstance. Does a bystander have the right to smash the window of a car under the same circumstances. Minutes waiting for the police could be life and death.
  6. Vicky posted on 07/10/2014 08:58 PM
    What is wrong with people? We have these magical things called STROLLERS so you can bring your baby with you anywhere! No excuses to leave your child alone in your car in this weather.
  7. RykE posted on 07/10/2014 09:38 PM
    Attention citizens of Montreal. We are experiencing a spate of idiocy....or are we just noticing now, what has been going on forever.
  8. ric posted on 07/10/2014 10:18 PM
    OK what's going on with these MURDERING MOMMIES? Why aren't they charged with crimes? Unbelievable!!!
  9. JCA posted on 07/11/2014 06:40 AM
    I hope the child is taken from her and she is charged with abuse . This is unbelievable , we can not have our justice system come down with just a slap on the wrist. She is not needing a mental Heath check ,,, she needs jail ( let the mothers inside of the pen take care of her ). Poor judge of character !!! STUPID
  10. Shana posted on 07/11/2014 08:35 AM
    I'm not defending the parents who are neglectful, and I have never done this myself, but as a new parent I know what it's like to be really tired, scatter brained and totally off on some days and maybe post-partum depression comes into play. I'm sorry, but it's a human thing to forget, especially when baby is quiet in the back seat when you get out, you have a million things on your mind.

I just think that something needs to be invented so that this doesn't happen anymore, especially for the really tired mamas who are doing their best to keep it together.
    1. Kari posted on 07/11/2014 10:21 AM
      @Shana You have got to be kidding.
      You write " as a new parent I have never done this myself ". Of course you haven't.....................you're not stupid!
      There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for leaving a child alone ANYWHERE especially in a locked car.
    2. Geo posted on 07/11/2014 09:16 PM
      @Shana This is the most stupid post I have ever read just about anywhere....

For your info, there already is something out there, already invented, to prevent scatter-brains like you from killing your children.

It's called a brain. Common sense.

You say it's a human-being thing to forget ? No it's not. You might forget your i-phone on the bus, but you don't forget a child in the backseat of a car.

You should NOT be a parent. Your comments are reprehensible.
  11. Robin FitzGerald posted on 07/11/2014 08:36 AM
    It's about time that parents who leave an unattended child in a car should be sentenced at the very least to an hour in a locked car in a parking lot (without being able to open a door - handcuffs, perhaps? A $60 fine is ludicrous.
  12. Paul posted on 07/11/2014 09:32 AM
    It wasn't the cops who found the baby. They were called there by someone else.

The real hero is the person who saw the baby and called authorities.

Anyone can break a window.
  13. Patricia posted on 07/11/2014 09:32 AM
    These are the people who ask themselves.. why did it happen to them .. when their kids get kidnapped.

i know the issue here is death from heat... but to begin with... arent ppl scared to get ttheir kids kidnapped like this?

It should b the 1st reason y not to leave a child unattended
  14. carla posted on 07/11/2014 12:42 PM
    unbelievable...these parents don't deserve to have a child.
  15. Caty posted on 07/11/2014 06:47 PM
    You think this is bad. Think again. I am from Montreal but I live in Australia. Now during our summers the usual temperature on any given day turns around 38 degrees but it easily goes up to 45-46 degrees, and people leave their kids/animals alone in cars while they are shopping.. Some people just don't deserve to be parents..
  16. pamela posted on 07/11/2014 10:05 PM
    I am sorry this might turn out to be along one but here it goes as a mother of 4 beautiful kids I will be the first on to say I know its hectic but I have never ever left my kids alone in a car even if we were at my parents place and the baby just fell asleep I would carry him or her in I mean that's what any good parent would do.now on the subject of animals in the car we were shopping the other day at no frills in Renfrew and this older man parked beside us and went into the store he came out about 20 mins or so later and his poor dog was trying to hide under the dash when my hubby said something to him the guy just smiled and drove away.exact same day older lady drives in and parks hubby says you have no ideal how hot it is going to be in that car she looks at him and says you have no ideal that I'm only going to be not even 5 mins
  17. IChang posted on 07/12/2014 01:56 AM
    we all know the only true crime someone can commit in Ottawa is speeding and parking or perform any deed done to protect any individual from someone harming them
  18. rachelle posted on 07/14/2014 05:54 PM
    I think the fines should be a lot higher 60.00 is peanuts for child or animals. l saw a lab in the car last week and the guys had the dog on leash in the back seats and the windows were not open big, so l open the open and left the dog out, the guy come out and said the dog got out l said no we let him out. the dog belong to rosie shelter he was in the store 30mins , we told him he has to get his head examed to leave a dog that big in the car in the heat. he laughed and we called rosie and told them what that person did, please people leave your dogs at home when it hot out and bring your children with you at all times fill car go get bread please think of safety

CJAD NOW...