Woman told not to breastfeed at West Island mall store

A woman says she was told not to breast feed at store on the West Island.

Melinda Gabois was at the Fairview shopping center in a Browns shoe store and was told she should leave.

She spoke with Aaron Rand about her run-in with the store's assistant general manager.

"He didn't say it was store policy, he didn't say anything about any policies, he just said do it somewhere else 'cause you can't do it here. He did suggest the breast feeding room upstairs in the food court", Gabois said inthe interview.

Gabois says she had to feed her baby there and then because it was crying.

She adds the manager eventually apologized, but that it offered little comfort.

Photo credit: www.clinicaladvisor.com

1. Sharon Hazel posted on 07/11/2014 09:52 PM
    This is absolutely ridiculous!!! No woman should be made to feel uncomfortable, ashamed or degraded for breast feeding. I was 17 when I was pregnant and was "too embarassed" to breastfeed, so my son was bottle fed. This is not right, I was never educated in raising my child and no one ever encouraged me to breast feed. It was a horrible experience for me and I say shame on anyone who has this warped mentality.
  2. tam posted on 07/12/2014 12:03 AM
    I breast fed all 3 of my kids and for the first one there were no assigned rooms. Never had a problem at Fairview. If there is nowhere else to go then asking to use a corner of the store is always ok. I was often offered a changing room or behind the cash. I don't think its inappropriate for the manager to ask you to use the room upstairs. From Browns it takes 3-4 minutes to get to and is big and private and clean. Why would you want to breastfeed in the middle of the store anyway if you don't have to? it would be different if he had asked you to use the washroom. if you were discreet about it he would never have even noticed[.
  3. Joe posted on 07/12/2014 01:30 AM
    This doesn't sound like a case of "no breastfeeding" policy, you can't just sit in a store taking up space and eating or feeding your child. They are running a business not a daycare. My wife always feeds our baby in those special rooms at the mall. She could have sat on one of the benches right outside too. If she was bottle feeding she would have been asked to leave just as well.
  4. Laura posted on 07/12/2014 08:44 AM
    Being a woman who breasted un-apologetically in public, I think this boils down to etiquette. Yes, women should be able to breast feed anywhere any other person would eat. To truly be an equal right would also mean to respect equal rules. I also think it's ok to be courteous to those around us by recognizing IN a store is not an appropriate place for any type of eating. I don't care if you want to sit at the fountain, the food court, the bus stop..... I would snack at any of those places too, but I would NOT feed my kids by any means or whip out snacks inside a retail store. Furthermore, why would you choose that location on their quiet chair? Privacy? Quiet? Convenience? Attention? I fail to see the appeal, and I don't think having your kid on a feeding schedule or postponing feeding for 5 minutes will harm her. Soothe her with any other means while you finish your business and go feed in a more appropriate location...... Teach them how to be courteous and patient by setting the example. OR, dare I say, plan ahead.
  5. kelly posted on 07/12/2014 10:04 AM
    There is a breastfeeding room at Fairview 2 min from browns! She could have gone there.... The room is there for a reason . if she would have no where else to go I would understand. I'm all for breastfeeding! Do it in public, however not when there's a room assigned to it!!!!!!
  6. Marguerite posted on 07/12/2014 11:23 AM
    Breastfeeding is a special bond between child and mother. With that being said there are still alot of people that are uncomfortable around when seeing this in public. Fairview has created a nice room where you can breastfeed your child in comfort and without being starred at. I heard this woman on news complain that her child was hungry and it would have taken her 20 minutes to pick up her bags and things before she would have been able to get to the breastfeeding room. I am sorry but to me this is a lame excuse. All mothers know the feeding schedule of their child. She was ot outside in the open where I agree she would have had no choice, but she was inside a store in a mall. In my opinion she did not want to take the time to go to the room. She was not only thinking of her child but herself. Now she wants a formal apology. What for? She chose to breastfeed in the store then she should understand that there are still some people uncomfortable with it and will make comments.
  7. Sheila Smith posted on 07/12/2014 12:21 PM
    I breast fed my daughter and never did this in public. I don't understand why mothers can't plan around their babies schedule, why drag a young baby around a mall - put your child first. Will you feed your toddler in a shoe store ?
  8. 1mohawkview posted on 07/13/2014 10:12 PM
    Yes I would prefer to feed my baby in private. With that being said, the comments from some mothers are appalling. A baby does not know etiquette and some times you have to nurse when necessary for the child as well as the mother. This is the most natural thing in the universe and you can still manage to perverse even this. NO APOLOGIES!!!
  9. Richard posted on 07/16/2014 02:24 PM
    I have a question for all those who think it is beautiful and natural.
    If you were to be siting in public breast-feeding you child, and I were to sit down and watch, what would you say?
    1. geo posted on 07/17/2014 03:05 PM
      @Richard Well...I would say you're a weirdo...

Actually, I'm quite intrigued about your thought-process. Something's not right..just sayin'....
  10. Dayne T posted on 07/17/2014 07:41 AM
    The woman should have used the breast-feeding room. End of. So her baby had cried for any extra minute or two while she made her way there? The baby would have survived the wait, I'm sure.
  11. geo posted on 07/17/2014 02:57 PM
    I can't believe this is still an issue ?!? Are we still living in the stone-age ?

CJAD NOW...