60-million dollars more from Quebec government for Lac-Megantic

Quebec is granting an additional $60 million to compensate victims of last year's catastrophic train derailment in Lac-Megantic which left 47 people dead.

Municipal Affairs Minister Pierre Moreau told a news conference that $37 million of the amount would go to the owners of businesses in the disaster area.

A large swath of Lac-Megantic's downtown was destroyed when a runaway train loaded with volatile fuel oil jumped the tracks and exploded.

The government says it heard the complaints of those affected by the disaster and wanted to bring some balance to the treatment of their cases.

Business owners had complained they weren't getting help fast enough.

Moreau says there will be meetings this week with 37 business owners and that the compensation is available now.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here. You DO NOT need to be a member to comment.

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News

  • Gerald Tremblay: my conscience is clear

    Former mayor Gerald Tremblay says even though Montrealers may be asking what he knew and when about corruption at City Hall, his conscience is clear. Read More
  • Scots decide whether to declare independence

    The fate of the United Kingdom was at stake Thursday as Scotland began voting in a referendum on becoming an independent state, deciding whether to unravel a marriage that helped build an empire but has increasingly been felt by many Scots as stifling and one-sided. Read More