Is Israel about to launch full ground offensive in Gaza?

Israel has called on residents of the northern Gaza Strip to leave their homes, suggesting a coming attack after its troops earlier launched a brief raid.

The Israeli air force dropped leaflets Sunday morning calling for the evacuation.

Israel's military spokesman says troops will begin a ``short and temporary'' campaign against northern Gaza Sunday.

It's not clear whether the possible attack would be confined to stepped-up airstrikes or whether it might include a sizeable ground offensive, something Israel has so far been reluctant to undertake.

The call comes after Israeli troops launched a brief raid early Sunday morning into northern Gaza to destroy what it described as a rocket-launching site.

The military said four soldiers were slightly wounded in the operation.

More than 160 Palestinians have been killed in the six-day offensive.

Militants in Gaza have fired some 700 rockets in Israel during that time, though there have been no fatalities there.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here. You DO NOT need to be a member to comment.

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News