A hefty fine for a Montreal man celebrating Germany's World Cup win

CTV News

A Montreal man who got caught up in the World Cup celebrations Sunday when Germany won the championship says he's shocked by a hefty fine he's been handed by Montreal Police.

Adam Guzzo tells CTV news that he was fined 500 dollars for climbing a lamp post on Bishop street to fly the German flag during the festivities.

" I was like, seriously, I thought they were joking. I thought they were trying to scare me or something." says Guzzo.

Police say it's illegal to climb on public structures and the fines vary according to the borough.

Guzzo plans on contesting the fine in court.

1. ric posted on 07/15/2014 10:01 PM
    Climbing light pole to celebrate German world cup victory. $500.00
    Leaving children in car to suffer or die in the heat. $ 60.00

Need I say more?????
  2. Barb Clancy posted on 07/15/2014 11:58 PM
    But the mom who leaves her child in the car at Rockland gets a $60 ticket - something wrong here!!!
  3. Malek posted on 07/16/2014 12:53 AM
    My brother and myself got each 1260$!! My brother for body surfing, and myself for driving. My brother had his shoulders outside the car. Completely ridiculous! We are contesting it.
  4. Mark posted on 07/16/2014 03:34 AM
    The guy should have hung his children on the lamppost, holding the flag. Trying to kill your kids is only a $60 fine in Quebec.
  5. Claudia posted on 07/16/2014 01:22 PM
    My son and friends were at the Jazz fest and as soon the band they were watching started to play a song they loved my son yelled "F*** Yeaaah!! out of excitement..... he got handcuffed and fined almost $500.....for....i don;t know...... screaming out loud?.....in the Jazz Festival????....the explanation on the ticket doesn't even made sense what the wrote. I don't want to be sour but here's a thought.......Here is my personal thoughts....... We appreciate the police helping and protecting us from criminal actions, vandalism and why not but I don't think the Montreal Police know the difference from a real criminal acts to people having clean fun, like celebrating in different type of events.
    Here's an idea, how about when Montreal Police graduate from the academy go to places like L .A or NYC to give a stage, learning about real matters and delinquency ??!!.....trust me , it will help us all if they have a serious training 'cause giving tickets to citizen for having fun or other stupid reason doesn't cut it !.............About the parent leaving the child in the car by him/her self? Don't get me starting............
  6. al posted on 07/21/2014 02:45 AM
    Tell the judge you were Pole dancing. If you were holding a fleur-des-lys flag they wouldn't have given you a ticket..