Petition asking that Emma Czornobaj not go to jail

Woman found guilty in death of motorcyclist & daughter after stopping for ducks

PHOTO: change.org

A petition with close to 8000 signatures has been circulating to ensure Emma Czornobaj does not do jail time after she was found guilty in the death of a motorcyclist and his daughter who crashed into her car, that she pulled over to save ducks crossing a highway.

The person who started the petition, under the name DJ Xfile, says he started it because he felt wrong about the jury's verdict.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

“It struct a deep cord in me so I took action, started the petition and quickly came to realise that many people share my opinion and feel that this is not right and want to have their voice heard in the matter.”

The goal is to get 10 000 signatures and to present the petition to the justice minister.

“There is a way to have her contribute, pay back, help heal, educate society that does not include jail time.”

DJ Xfile says he only recently met with Czornobaj but did not know her before starting the petition.

1. Adam posted on 07/15/2014 03:34 PM
    I understand the empathy to side with this woman not going to jail, but lets get the facts straight here.

She stopped IN the left lane of a highway. She didn't pull over to the shoulder, she was in the lane.

Two people are dead as a result of her ridiculous actions and she deserves no more than a slap on the wrist? Please.
    1. Chels posted on 07/15/2014 05:26 PM
      @Adam She doesn't deserve to go to jail. She didn't brutally murdered these two people . It was an accident , she was indeed in the wrong but those who INTENTIONALLY get into their cars drunk and go drive should go to jail but THEY get a slap on the wrist there are pedophiles and rapists who are in and out of jail fastert than all this was even settled for things they do !! You can't sit here and tell me you think she's a Murderer ?! If so you need to re-evaluate things in your life because accidents happen she stopped to help DUCKS like use your common sense ! Point is she shouldn't go unpunished but jail time I completely disagree it took 4 years for it to even get to this she's had to live 4 years of her life with what she did and now they want to say oh hey maybe by the end of the 4th year we might just put you in jail like what the heck is wrong with this world she has no record nothing !!!
    2. Richard posted on 07/16/2014 08:23 AM
      @Adam Yes lets get the facts straight
      The 2 people were killed because the motorcyclist was doing 130 in a 90 zone a tailgating the truck in front!

Only in Quebec, the distinct society, can you be hit in the back and its your fault

The prosecutor, the judge and everyone on the jury needs to go back to driving school
  2. Karen posted on 07/15/2014 04:22 PM
    I feel for this young woman, I am sure she didn't intentionally mean to hurt anyone. However she is responsible for the death of two people. We can't and should not be able to pick and choose who should go to jail.....she was convicted and should pay the price.
    1. Mike posted on 07/16/2014 04:45 PM
      @Karen She was convicted of criminal negligence. The sentence for criminal negligence ranges anywhere from community service to life imprisonment. The determining factor in such a charge is intent. She is responsible, yes, but as you said, she did not intend to hurt anyone. In fact, quite the opposite, her intent was to help. Given the nature of her conviction, we absolutely can and should pick and choose who should go to jail. The law says so. And the point of any sentence is two-fold, to punish and rehabilitate. I am fairly sure she is already being punished mentally, and she is likely giving herself the punishment. She is not a hardened criminal. Jail is not the place for her. I say let her pay the price, but in the form of community service where she WILL do some good.
  3. Richard posted on 07/15/2014 04:25 PM
    Her conviction should be overturned as well
  4. Matt posted on 07/15/2014 04:54 PM
    I don't believe she should go to jail but I do believe she should absolutely never drive again. To be that stupid and stop in the left lane on the highway proves you are not smart enough to have a license.
  5. Keenie posted on 07/15/2014 05:45 PM
    It is a horrible situation but what if that were YOUR husband and daughter whose lives were lost senselessly over this woman's criminally stupid actions? Some things just don't get do-overs, the consequences are just too tough to bear. You have your driver's licence, you need to use common sense and judgment when behind that wheel. Or people die for nothing and lives are wasted.
    1. Richard posted on 07/16/2014 08:28 AM
      @Keenie Criminally stupid is driving 130kph in a 90 zone with your child on the back of your bike and you are so close to the truck in front of you that you have no time to react to an emergency...That is criminally stupid!!

The father should have used common sense and better judgement because he killed himself and his daughter
  6. Barbara posted on 07/15/2014 06:35 PM
    Where do I sign
  7. Martin posted on 07/15/2014 07:21 PM
    The woman was wrong but also probably the motorcyclist too as you have to keep a safe distance while driving, so why did the motorcyclist not see the stopped car or could not stop in time, was it either not paying attention or driving too fast or pulling out from the right lane into the left lane without seeing if the road was clear.
    1. Veets posted on 07/16/2014 08:53 AM
      @Martin Sounds like you're blaming the victims.
  8. Robert posted on 07/15/2014 08:29 PM
    And if her car had broken down leaving her unable to pull over? Are we all not responsible to be careful on the roads? If a car rear-ends you, whose fault is it? Of course I feel for the family and the ones close to the deceased. Does the driver of the motorcycle not have responsibilities here as well? A person who is stopping to assist animals obviously has a kind heart. How well do you think she is going to do in life now knowing what her actions caused? Is jail-time going to reform her?
    1. Geo posted on 07/17/2014 09:38 PM
      @Robert Yep. I think jail time will reform her.
  9. Curtis posted on 07/15/2014 09:41 PM
    I would like to say, first of all, that I want to sign this petition.

I work in the correctional system at a Federal institution. This is no place for a person such as Ms. Czornobaj. Through her conviction, she is labelled a criminal, however, she is not "criminalized"...far from it. Rather, she felt something in her heart, seeing those ducks on the highway. She acted upon her feelings that the ducks needed help to cross safely. This act is one of compassion and concern. I bet she is living through hell right now, knowing that her very act of kindness lead to the loss of life.

She didn't wake up one day thinking that she was going to have lives lost because of her actions...she didn't purposefully park there on the side of the road so that a speeding motorcycle could hit her car. Bad judgement call? Most likely, in hindsight, as they say. Poor design of the roadway? Quite possibly, as there is not enough room on either side to park, if I am correct in its location. How did cars avoid hitting hers? Maybe they were paying attention. We don't know all the facts in this case.

I will leave you with this...

Had no one died, and she managed to help those ducks...people who witnessed her act would have gone home to tell the tale of a woman who was kind, thoughtful, selfless, compassionate, and caring...all qualities that each and every one of us should strive to achieve.
  10. Perry posted on 07/15/2014 10:37 PM
    I understand the empathy that she shouldn't go to jail, but can nothing happen? I think some form of consequence must happen here. Do we need to condone acts with a total lack of common sense? What kind of lesson does society get here if she gets nothing?
    1. Barcham posted on 07/16/2014 06:58 PM
      @Perry Do you actually believe that no matter what happens that her life has not been changed forever? the last 4 years must have been a living hell for her and now she has to look forward to many years in prison. What kind of lesson does society get if the 'victim' in this incident shares none of the blame for his actions? This entire affair should have been covered by the SAAQ and no fault insurance and should have never reached the courts.
  11. Nathan posted on 07/15/2014 11:06 PM
    Hey, look at me on my Harley.
    It's so loud that all traffic will avoid me no matter what. The noise keeps me safe. DOH!
    1. g posted on 07/16/2014 09:27 AM
      @Nathan You're an idiot. Show some respect.
  12. Janet posted on 07/16/2014 03:27 PM
    It was an unfortunate accident, however, she should punished. Perhaps, give her a lifetime ban on driving. Here's an idea------If you kill someone with your car, you shouldn't be allowed to ever drive again.
  13. steve posted on 07/16/2014 05:15 PM
    Let her dangle!
  14. Roberta Melville posted on 07/17/2014 12:28 PM
    After reading all the comments both positive and plain just plain dumb I feel the blame should be 20% against her and 80% against the father.
    An experienced rider will be aware of the conditions around him especially the conditions ahead of him. At forty K over the speed limit his reaction time was cut down to almost zero. If he was tailgating a truck in front of him, his vision was so severely limited all he had time to do was say mon dieu.
    Yes she did a stupid thing, but he killed his daughter and himself by his gross stupidity.
    And I am a rider.
    1. paul posted on 07/18/2014 06:33 AM
      @Roberta Melville The fault was 100% with the idiot who chose to park her car on a highway.
      Also, not all riders out that are experienced, some are new.
      Your assumptions are not accurate.
      And I'm a biker.
    2. paul posted on 07/18/2014 06:40 AM
      @Roberta Melville If there had been no car parked on the highway, 2 people would be 100% alive today. There is no disputing this.
      Highways are not parking places.
      And I'm a rider.
  15. Geo posted on 07/17/2014 09:17 PM
    This is a tragedy that had me weighing all the facts before I decided what side of the fence I was on. Emma Czornobaj is certainly not a cold-blooded killer. Her only intention was to save animals in harm's way. Yet in a split second her actions killed people.

She made a huge mistake. People died. Seriously..how many people would park their car in the left lane of a highway ???

I can imagine what would have happened if she parked on the shoulder, went to save the ducks, and got killed by the motorcycle.....Get it ?

If "lack of common sense" was a crime, and I was the judge, she would get a jail sentence.
  16. dave posted on 07/17/2014 11:05 PM
    I cant see how jail is the answer in this case...it boggles my mind the amount of thoughtlessness goes into some peoples comments..By the grace of "something" drivers who do stupid things go unpunished every day..this time it was fatal...there was no intent....i cannot for the life of me see how jail is going make this all better...there are other ways to pay for your "crime" . I think living with this tragedy is a form of hell for her..Its just soo sad on so many levels!
  17. Thomas posted on 07/20/2014 12:32 AM
    I don't think there should be any sympathy for this woman whatsoever. Even if the motorcyclist was speeding, the simple undeniable and certain fact remains that If she had not stopped on the highway, Mr. Andre Roy and his daughter would be alive today. So for all you stupid morons discounting what she did and saying that she should not go to jail, ask yourself this question, what if that was your spouse and child who died because of her actions? Would you still think she should not go to jail? Easy for all of you to sit there and make these statements, but simple fact of the matter is If she did not stop on the highway like that, those two people would not be dead. She caused two people to die, so why should she deserve any leniency. Morons!!
    1. Richard posted on 07/21/2014 09:29 AM
      @Thomas Do you think you can have a adult discussion without resorting to name calling? It is a sign of a weak mind

Instead of calling people who do not agree with you names...why not answer the question? What if he car had broken down? What if the car had stopped because of an accident? Would the deaths have then been justified?

You ignore the fact that 2 cars and a truck managed to avoid the stopped car. Why? Because they were not speeding and even if they were, they left enough space between them and the vehicle in front to be able to react to an emergency.....Mr Roy did not.

The simple undeniable and certain fact remains that If he had not been speeding ad tailgating, Mr. Andre Roy and his daughter would be alive today.
  18. Thomas posted 5 hours ago
    @Richard, the simple fact is if she was not stopped on the highway, those two people would be alive today. It goes both ways, she caused two people to die. What if it was your spouse and child who died because of her? How would you feel? Would you still want to be so lenient?
    1. Mike posted 2 hours ago
      @Thomas @Thomas: It is my understanding that the family of the two who were killed do not want Ms. Czornobaj to go to jail. I believe the question is not one of leniency, it is one of appropriateness. Is jail the appropriate place for someone with no intent to harm? She made a mistake -- granted, one with severe consequences, and yes, she should have known better. It showed a severe lack of judgement. But without intent to harm, I do not believe jail is the right place for her.

I am not saying that a sentence is not warranted. However, it can be something served outside of jail, such as community service, something which is allowed for criminal negligence. Let her pay back society by helping others. It will never reverse the harm that was done, but at least it will make the best of a bad situation.