Cop caught parking in handicapped space

Admits to making a mistake; no word on whether he'll be disciplined

A photo of a police cruiser parked in a handicapped parking space has been making the rounds of social media for the past day or so.

Eric Maier snapped the photo and sent it to yourstory@cjad.com. He says it looked as though the cruiser was parked in front of a sushi shop in a strip mall on St. John's Blvd. and Labrosse in Pointe-Claire.

"The irony of having a cop car parked, but nobody around, and no lights flashing...it's a pet peeve I have," Maier tells CJAD News. "Sometimes you get tickets, and, you know, you never feel good about getting tickets. Sometimes...you know, bad place, wrong time, and then you see that. You know, maybe they owe me a credit for one of my tickets."

A spokesperson with the Montreal police department told CJAD News the officer in question was met by his commanding officer after the picture came to his attention. He also says the officer admitted to making a mistake by parking in the handicapped space.

The spokesperson wouldn't say, however, whether the officer faces a ticket — or any other kind of discipline.

1. marc posted on 07/16/2014 02:08 PM
    Don't worry the cop was probably handicapped anyways...

I would have waited for the cop to come out & let him/her have it...
    1. Marc posted on 07/16/2014 03:50 PM
      @marc Yeah, that would have got you a ticket for "obstruction of justice" or some other trumped up charge.

In regards to the officer's handicap, it is obvious that he has neuron deficiency syndrome.
  2. Paul Hachey posted on 07/16/2014 03:03 PM
    Oh, please, they have guns and the power to use them. Above the law, you bet and they know it.
  3. Richard posted on 07/16/2014 03:47 PM
    Hand the cop a parking ticket but double it because he is a cop and should be leading by example. Except they will say he was disciplined, when in fact, he will just be told not to do it again.

Funny how they can get away with lot
    1. Rick posted on 07/17/2014 05:48 PM
      @Richard A ticket...yes
      Double because he is a cop...no!
  4. mel posted on 07/16/2014 04:01 PM
    To be honest, I hate that parking lot, I've made the mistake of parking in a handicap because people were parked all over the place and the signs aren't super clear as to where the spots are. In winter, they are invisible and since I'm short I don't normally see the ground so I miss the drawing until I come back or as I leave. Mistakes happen. I kind of feel bad for the cop.
    1. Joe posted on 07/17/2014 12:37 PM
      @mel Thank You Officer Mel. But in this photo there is CLEARLY a wheelchair painted in the usual blue paint so lets move along to the next excuse. The only time you can mistakenly park in this spot is when you park on top of the blue paint.
    2. Manoli posted on 07/19/2014 08:17 PM
      @mel ?! You feel bad for the cop ? How do you see this ? Either you are a retired cop, or a wannabe because looking at this picture in JULY with fresh painted signals --- wtf????????
  5. Paul posted on 07/16/2014 05:31 PM
    How much would the fine have been if it had been a regular citizen? $300 maybe? Couldn't they donate that to charity?
    1. Kat posted on 07/28/2014 10:44 AM
      @Paul It is clearly marked handicapped.
      The officer should pay a fine from his OWN account.
      After all is that not the INTENT of the law to discourage bad behavior?
  6. Joe posted on 07/16/2014 06:13 PM
    If we were parked there we would get a ticket for sure but no points as it is a parking offence. Having said that I don't think a ticket would do any good as it is a city car and our tax dollars would have to pay for it. They spoke to the officer and he ammitted to making a mistake. Administration should advise all cops that the same laws apply to them as well as to the public as long as it is not an emergency call.
  7. Stu Cats posted on 07/17/2014 07:51 AM
    If it was an emergency the cop would have parked in the no parking zone right in front. If a handicapped person would have parked in the no parking zone, they would have got a ticket or towed away.
    Sorry, no excuse... I hope it's the cop who gave my wife a ticket for sliding through a stop during an ice storm!
  8. Tom Cassidy posted on 07/17/2014 12:54 PM
    If they can give a citizen a $1200.00 ticket for climbing a lamp post or two brothers
    a $300.00 ticket each for celebrating Germany's Football win, then they can give this
    guy a $500.00 ticket along with the loss of demerit points
    1. Richard posted on 07/22/2014 12:38 PM
      @Tom Cassidy A) the lamppost was 500
      B) They were car surfing
      C) There are no demerit points for parking
  9. Manoli posted on 07/19/2014 08:20 PM
    If I see this happen I should pull out of my trunk my mothers wheelchair and sit in it and wait for them to come out and FILM it openly and see how they react on camera.
    These area examples of why when I see a cop I see someone who got the job today with much lower admission standards mentally than thirty years ago.
  10. What ya gonna do about it posted on 07/23/2014 03:05 AM
    Arrogant, ignorant, bunch of losers. I don't trust these idiots. Bunch of robots who themselves lie, cheat, bully, the people who they are to protect. Had an officer lie to my face for no reason just yesterday and in front of my kid. I tell my kids to never ever interact with these morons. This is not one bad apple, they are all power tripped and not to be trusted. Montreal has long been a police state all the way up the city ladder. Thank God for cameras and videos that can expose these people acting the way they do. Just search for Montreal police on google, the amount of material is disgusting.
  11. mike posted on 07/23/2014 11:28 AM
    If you look carefully, there isn't a sign installed on a post in front of the car which means that NO ONE can get a ticket for that handicap spot. There must be two conditions for the handicap spot to be applied: 1- the sign on the floor and 2- the sign on a post. Think about it, in the winter...if there is snow on the ground, how can you see that it is really a handicap parking spot? So what's the big fuss about it? I understand it looks bad, but if you do your homework before judging, you'll find that the cop did nothing wrong.
    1. Joe posted on 07/24/2014 09:14 AM
      @mike Are you sure Officer Mike?
      1- All around the city there are meters that are shorter than others and at the Muhc right on the street on Cedar there are parking spots for handicaps marked with signs and on all instances the road is not painted blue.
      2- This is clearly not winter and the paint is as visible as anything and even if your theory is true these or this police officer should have the respect not to park there, and on top of that I would like all our readers to park in that spot and send the tickets to you.