Gerald Tremblay: I was betrayed

Former mayor Gerald Tremblay has broken his silence about the contracting scandal that prompted his resignation, saying he is innocent, but was betrayed by someone close to him at city hall.

He did not name the person.

71-year old Tremblay granted an hour-long interview to a Christian radio station, speaking both about his faith and also of his triumphs and disappointments in politics.

He told Radio Ville Marie that he found it difficult to be betrayed without remorse by someone he'd worked closely with for 25 years but is confident that one day justice will be done in connection with the contracting scandal.

Tremblay says he has found inner peace through the support of voters he meets and his spiritual pilgrimage last year on the Way of St. James in Spain.

The interview will air this morning on Radio Ville Marie.

1. Paul posted on 07/17/2014 08:15 AM
    Let's not be fooled by this.
    For me, he brings back memories of the secretive Executive Committee that burdened us with:
    - expensive water meter "deals"
    - the Bixi lie,
    - the sale of prime downtown lands for $1,
    - spying on elected officials
    - fighting with the Auditor General

Montreal taxpayers are the real victims who were betrayed and continue to pay for it.
    1. Steve posted on 07/17/2014 01:29 PM
      @Paul All true, and made possible by Montreal anglophones who systematically voted for him and his administration for 10 years on the basis that he was a Liberal and a federalist.
  2. Paul posted on 07/17/2014 11:09 AM
    It sure didn't take long for Mr Tremblay to forgive himself: just a few months after leaving office was enough.
  3. Murray posted on 07/17/2014 12:16 PM
    My favourite remembrance of Mayor Tremblay was when I asked him as a followup question at a city council meeting; "Are you aware that little children suffer and die because people in a position to do good, such as yourself, do absolutely nothing?" I will never forget the look on his face! TOUCHEE!

Six months after he was first elected as mayor he made a pledge to me on Tommy Schnurmacher's Show, to do something very positive for the benefit of humanity. Months later after Tremblay did nothing, his head of communications (Richard Theriault) told me that "The mayor responded to your question in spontaneity."
  4. Joe posted on 07/17/2014 10:48 PM
    Hey look the Teflon Mayor has spoken. Either this is all smoke and mirrors or he has to be the dumbest mayor Montreal has had to actually have no clue what was going on in Montreal.
  5. Tony Fregapane posted on 07/18/2014 01:46 PM
    I feel almost everyday that my faith is being tested. I try to be a good son, husband, father and friend. It is great to see how somel turn to God and have our faith tested. I truly believe Mayor Tremblay was used and betrayed by one of the members of the executive committee. Mr. Zampino was his position for personal gain. You will be truely judge when the time comes.
  6. Mario posted on 07/18/2014 06:19 PM
    I don't understand. If he was so cruelly betrayed, then why doesn't he name the person ? Is there some sort of code of honour that I don't know about that won't allow it ?
  7. Joe posted on 07/19/2014 01:46 PM
    You were betrayed, what about the taxpayers who voted for what turned out to be a horse with blinders for a mayor as we are led to believe If he new nothing as he says he goes down as the most incompetent mayor Montreal has ever seen, or he was told by the bad guys to play like Sgt. Shultz in Hogan's Heroes who always basically said I hear nothing, I see nothing. Bottom line the buck stops at the top, so maybe he can pray to God to get the millions of dollars that he let slip into Mobs hands due to his ineptness or his turn the other cheek attitude, and as for his I found peace with god attitude, great but the taxpayers have not found peace with you and your run and behind the church attitude.
  8. Sam posted on 07/20/2014 05:19 PM
    Montrealers were and still are being betrayed.