Subban still without a contract after meeting with Habs

P.K. Subban's future is in the hands of an arbitrator now after going through a hearing to determine his next contract.

Subban, his representatives and those from the NHL and Montreal Canadiens met for a few hours Friday morning at a downtown Toronto hotel.

The defenceman emerged from the meeting room without a negotiated deal.

The arbitrator has up to 48 hours to render a ruling on the value of a one-year deal for the 25-year-old.

Subban called the hearing a ``learning process'' but didn't divulge much else of what went on.

The two sides can continue to negotiate until the arbitrator rules, but it was not clear if there would be any talks this weekend.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. John Clayton posted on 08/01/2014 03:05 PM
    Habs will never get their 25th Stanley cup with this attitude. It is the worst team to play for in regards to what you take in after taxes. Bergevin thinks he won something. He had better hope they win this year. Why is Desharnais still here and Briere gone ?
    Hiring those two new coaches who are AHl material a smart move? One of them scored 18 points in 188 games playing for 5 different teams. Who is going to listen to that guy.
  2. habs fan posted on 08/02/2014 09:43 AM
    noone wants a cry baby on the team get over it subban, you had a lucky year that doesn't
    make you the best player, i think you are asking way to much, its called GREEDY,
    you say its a family affair but it is a business and you are being foolish and greedy, if you ask me brandon is a much better player than subban. GET OVER YOURSELF SUBBAN
showing all comments

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News

  • Protesters return to scarred streets of Ferguson; more National Guard troops deployed

    FERGUSON, Mo. - Protesters returned to the riot-scarred streets of Ferguson on Tuesday, a day after crowds looted businesses and set fire to buildings in a night of rage against a grand jury's decision not to indict the white police officer who killed Michael Brown.

    But with hundreds of additional National Guard troops assisting police, the latest demonstrations had little of the chaos and destruction that erupted after Monday's announcement. Most clashes were relatively minor, although a squad car was set on fire, and police released some tear gas.

    Meanwhile, officer Darren Wilson broke his long public silence, insisting on national television that he could not have done anything differently in the confrontation with Brown.

    In the aftermath of Monday's violence, Missouri governor Jay Nixon sent a large contingent of extra National Guard troops, ordering the initial force of 700 to be increased to 2,200 in hopes that their presence would help local law enforcement keep order in the St. Louis suburb.

    "Lives and property must be protected," Nixon said. "This community deserves to have peace."

    The Guard presence was hard to miss. Guard units protected the Ferguson Police Department and left crowd control, arrests and use of tear gas to local officers.

    About 50 protesters converged on a barricade manned by 30 Guard members. The group chanted "Whose streets, our streets," ''This is what democracy looks like" and "Hands up don't shoot," a slogan that has become a rallying cry in protests over police killings.

    Outside police headquarters in Ferguson, one woman was taken into custody after protesters threw what appeared to be smoke bombs, flares and frozen water bottles at a line of officers. Several other protesters were arrested after defying police instructions to get out of the street or out of the way of police vehicles.

    As the day drew to a close, some streets that had been overrun the previous night were deserted, except for the occasional police cruiser or National Guard vehicle. Guard crews stood watch in empty parking lots.

    Other large demonstrations were held across the country for a second day. Hundreds of Seattle high school students walked out of classes, and several hundred people marched down a Cleveland freeway ramp to block rush-hour traffic.

    During an interview with ABC News, Wilson said he has a clean conscience because "I know I did my job right."

    Wilson, 28, had been with the Ferguson police force for less than three years before the Aug. 9 shooting. He told ABC Brown's shooting marked the first time he had fired his gun on the job.

    Attorneys for the Brown family vowed to push for federal charges against Wilson and said the grand jury process was rigged from the start to clear Wilson.

    "We said from the very beginning that the decision of this grand jury was going to be the direct reflection of the presentation of the evidence by the prosecutor's office," attorney Anthony Gray said. He suggested the office of the county's top prosecutor, Bob McCulloch, presented some testimony to discredit the process, including from witnesses who did not see the shooting.

    During Monday's protests, 12 commercial buildings in Ferguson burned down, and firefighters responded to blazes at eight others, fire officials said. Other businesses were looted, and 12 vehicles were torched.

    Natalie DuBose, owner of Natalie's Cakes and More, planned to spend Tuesday night at her business after a window was busted out on Monday.

    "This is my livelihood," she said. "This is the only source of income I have to raise my children."

    Read More
  • Fire at former Gray Rocks resort

    A major fire is burning at the historic Gray Rocks resort in the Laurentiens. Read More