Cop car plastered in stickers has west end resident seeing red

Montrealers may be getting used to seeing police cars plastered with stickers protesting the pension reform bill.

But one west end Montreal resident contacted CJAD through YOUR STORY with photos of a car completely covered in them, leaving only the police sign, car number and Info-Crime number visible.

The listener asked only to be identified by his first name, Fred.

He says he was walking along Cote-St-Luc road when he saw the car, covered bumper to bumper in the red stickers.

Fred says he thinks acts like these are actually hurting their cause.

"I think it's humiliating," says Fred. "I think it's disgusting, and I think that if a little child who needs help looks at that, he won't recognize it as a police car. I personally think they're making a big mistake."

This comes just hours after a demonstration by officers in Ste-Julie, who announced a PR campaign to marshall public support.

showing 25 comments · show all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Debra posted on 08/05/2014 04:18 PM
    These men and women put their lives on the line for us everyday and now it is time for us to stand by them. They deserve our support and our respect! it is time for us to fight with them now they they need our support too.
    1. Drew posted on 08/05/2014 11:20 PM
      @Debra When other government workers went on strike did they support them NO.
      plastering stickers on cars that are bought with tax payers money. Place stickers on there own cars. Getting la lap dance in there police cars getting caught sleeping in the police cars parking in a handicap zone for lunch ect ect ect. $59,000 a year is a good pension
    2. Terry posted on 08/06/2014 12:31 AM
      @Debra Respect has to be earned. How can they expect to be respected when they don't even respect their own uniforms? Thank goodness the police dogs are not wearing jeans.
  2. Eric posted on 08/05/2014 04:42 PM
    I'm sure Fred wouldn't have a problem with it if it was his pension that was getting screwed around with.
    1. Mark posted on 08/06/2014 02:16 AM
      @Eric I'm sure that Fred doesn't have a cushy pension that will pay him a better salary than most earn for the rest of his life, starting as early as age 55.

Let's give teachers, police officers, and firefighters the pay raises that they deserve and take away their pensions. Let them save for their own retirement just like almost everyone else has to these days. This way, they finally get paid what they deserve, and the responsibility of supporting them for the rest of their lives falls on theirs, and not my children's shoulders.
  3. steve posted on 08/05/2014 04:50 PM
    It's all part of Quebec culture,typical union goon mentality! Police or not, what a disgrace!
  4. shari posted on 08/05/2014 04:53 PM
    Who is going to pay for the costs to clean that car and all the others? As well, not wearing uniforms makes them harder to recognize....
    1. Drew posted on 08/05/2014 11:21 PM
      @shari There quota will be 40 tickets a shift
  5. daniel posted on 08/05/2014 05:22 PM
    The union should be made to pay to restore all the vehicles. I have no problem with dressing down for the job, but this is plain vandalism.
    1. Drew posted on 08/05/2014 11:23 PM
      @daniel union does not have a name but the police officers do they should pay out of their salary. It is vandalism
  6. Richard posted on 08/05/2014 05:40 PM
    I'd like to know who is the one putting these stickers on the vehicles, really it doesn't matter. Because the person that spent all that time plastering all those stickers on just one car alone is a WASTE OF PAYROLL and they want to argue for their pensions.
  7. Kari posted on 08/05/2014 05:47 PM
    What this is, is not only disgusting, but should be considered vandalism and punishable by law.
    What if a citizen had decided to " sticker " a police car? I hardly think nothing would happen.
    Then again, the police seem to have their own set of rules sometimes.
    1. Jane posted on 08/05/2014 10:18 PM
      @Kari I work for a city in the Montreal area and all employees were sent an email explaining that putting stickers on City property is and will be considered vandalism and if caught the employee can face charges. I am not in a union and even if I was I would not condone this type of behaviour. Pay now or have nothing later, they have been saying for years that if we didn't do something the pensions would have no money by the time we needed them.
  8. Tim posted on 08/05/2014 08:02 PM
    For what it's worth I think the car looks amazing this way. I kind of want one. :)
    1. Drew posted on 08/05/2014 11:25 PM
      @Tim They can do it to my car hides the rust
  9. Will posted on 08/05/2014 08:32 PM
    These fools should be fired or at leased charged with mischief or vandalism. Are they doing these shenanigans on duty (stealing time-paid from the taxpayers)??
    When I was on strike many years ago, Montreal Police 'riot squad' would come daily to harass, intimidate and beat down my union brothers for legally protesting. I guess this is the proverbial double-standard.
  10. james martin posted on 08/05/2014 09:22 PM
    Ummmmm

Isn't this called VANDALISM to public Property ? If this were you and I ,Would we not receive a fine or be Prosecuted?
  11. Julius posted on 08/05/2014 09:59 PM
    Make them clean the car once they get what they want. Might think twice next time.
  12. Atiba posted on 08/05/2014 11:00 PM
    All the listeners presently bashing them for what they did to his car should kindly put a sock in it. These officers who risk their lives for us on a day to day basis to make sure we may walk the streets in piece of kind; are onky requesting to not have their pensions played with by bill 3.

So stand behind them for once as they deserve it as a unioned employee in a paramilitary profession who just had his pension messed wirh I know how they feel I wish my colleagues had the guts to do rhis with our trucks and uniforms.

The sign police is there, as well as he unit number and trust me the only part of the uniform that has changed is thd pants the shirt has not been altered my 5 year old nephew knows a cop when he sees one!

This to me is another case of critical montreal's who just want to tell the plice once again how to do their jobs and manage their departments. And for those who ask who will pay for the cleaning of those cruiser it will be the same money that is used to clean them when they are not full of stickers the taxpayers money that is injected into the budget.
    1. Max Z posted on 08/06/2014 10:13 AM
      @Atiba You don't get to vandalize other people's property. Period. There are other ways to make their case. This reflects poorly on them - at a time when respect for them is at an all time low. Not very bright.
    2. Andrew posted on 08/07/2014 12:46 AM
      @Atiba Do you feel safe in Montreal with these people you call police guarding you? When officers like 728 roaming the streets, mandatory ticket quotas and laws that are enacted under pressure by the police so that they can profit from the ticket revenues. I never feel safe in this town especially when I make the unfortunate mistake of speaking english to an officer who hates anglos.

I've argued in court the idea of police ticketing being a conflict of interests and won. I would say that not stopping for a police car like this one could be argued and one in court as well.

I think its high time we the public stop funding their very cushy pensions and let them start paying the tab a bit. They'll earn my respect when they actually act like cops and not the kings high tax collectors.
  13. Phil posted on 08/05/2014 11:08 PM
    Another example of how cops in Quebec abuse thier power. These police cars are paid for with tax payers money and it is a discrase how they are being abused to make a point. If goe public did this we would be faced with fines and jail time. Here's an idea why don't we the tax payers insist that the cost for cleaning these cars come from their pensions.
  14. Arthur posted on 08/05/2014 11:13 PM
    Are people stopping when this car is trying to stop them? I wouldn't .
    Would that put me in trouble? Wonder what judge would have said...
  15. debra posted on 08/06/2014 12:35 AM
    do any of you non-supporters have suggestions on pressure tactics? it isn't as if they can just walk off the job and strike.
    1. Rick posted on 08/07/2014 06:55 AM
      @debra They can do what most of us can, quit and look for other job. I'm sure they can find a work as an shopping mall security.
  16. Frank posted on 08/06/2014 01:37 AM
    How is it vandalism?!? The stickers don't damage the vehicles, they are easily removable...Funny how so many people will jump on any given opportunity to bash the police and yet, when they need officers, will rush at the speed of light to their phones...
    1. Carlos posted on 08/06/2014 09:02 AM
      @Frank That's what they were hired for....
  17. Cheryl posted on 08/06/2014 02:08 AM
    I saw this car today also, it was going South on l'Acadie around 11:30 am.
    I also sent it to CJAD Your Story.
    I cannot believe the "in your face:" attitude this demonstrates to the mayor's comments about stickers on public property. The team in this car deserves to be suspended. They spent time chatting about their RED car with other officers who were set up and working a speed trap on l'Acadie. Seems that they were all more interested in the RED car than doing their jobs. The team manning the speed trap seemed incredulous and borderline impressed. I was NOT impressed by any of it. My own budget does not have anything to put to waste so I am very upset when I see them wasting my money and defacing property my taxes paid for !!
  18. Paul posted on 08/06/2014 06:55 AM
    Taxpayers should be plastering their cars red to protest the police NOT doing their jobs and costing us a fortune.
    Let's not forget that during the Tremblay years, the MUC police turned in 0 files on corruption.
    Corruption that is estimated to cost taxpayers around $500 million.
  19. Sam posted on 08/06/2014 07:46 AM
    Lets face the facts: Lots of workers out there today are worried about keeping their jobs,let alone their pension plan!! Hey many don't even have one....that means we work a lifetime to get 1000 a month total between both governments. Now we all know we can live with that sum,if of course we don't eat,drink,and take any meds..we'll be just fine! As for danger in the workplace...well i've seen more deaths and accidents on construction site than our police and firemen, i'm not saying that their jobs are not dangerous,i'm just stating that any job can be deadly or dangerous..we just don't look at it that way...The blame here is the government!! I don't see any negos going on and neither any fines being given...i would like to see unions in court contesting to why they should have the right to destroy or tamper with public property, and lets televise it like the charbonneau commission. Hey we can even bring in Coderre,as long as its not a hockey night, we wouldn't want the citizens of Montreal paying a booth and the bell centre for nothing important!! People should really open their eyes and see the big picture.....stickers on cars is the least of our problems!!!
  20. david white posted on 08/06/2014 08:28 AM
    Treat them like everyone else! When an honest hardworking person protests that they do not have enough money to put food on the table, who do you think is there to tell them to suck it up and go home? Yet, they want our sympathy and understanding? Good luck with that!
    1. Richard posted on 08/06/2014 09:51 PM
      @david white Most hardworking people have the right to strike....the police do not
      Most hardworking people have employers honour a signed CBA....the cops do not!
  21. Rick posted on 08/06/2014 08:40 AM
    Let me see if I understand this? A city well known for its corruption steals hundreds of millions or more money from its employees pension funds and Patrick is humiliating by the victims posting easily removable stickers on the thief's property. I may be wrong but I am humiliated by the city's action.
  22. Max Z posted on 08/06/2014 10:00 AM
    Vandalism is illegal. Being part of a union does not put people above the law, and it makes the police look no different than common criminals. On top of that, they are vandalizing city equipment over pensions that are not sustainable in the long term, and that most working people don't have access to. Asking them to participate financially in their own pensions (rather than have it come 100% out of taxpayers pockets) is not unreasonable. I agree that police need to be respected, but that's never going to happen if they behave like this.
  23. Max Z posted on 08/06/2014 10:08 AM
    And not for nothing, but to do a job like that, clearly the officer(s) in question has/have nothing to do with their time.
  24. Mick posted on 08/06/2014 01:03 PM
    Come on they are only brats that need their little candy. There is no doubt it hurts a little but the regular tax payers are hurting also. Come on and smell the coffee we are broke and we cannot afford it.
    I worked in the public sector and we never had more than the cost of living as increase on our salary and the pension was a lot less than what they will receive at their retirement.
  25. Andre posted on 08/06/2014 01:32 PM
    I agree that it looks ridiculous.
    Why dont our camo-wearing police employ real pressure tacticts that don't make them look like fools? How about not meeting ticket quotas? Every other police service in the country does that... I guarantee you that administration will take notice of reduced income WAY faster than a lame baseball cap....
    1. Richard posted on 08/07/2014 11:55 AM
      @Andre So, you are saying that the cops should stop doing their jobs?
showing 1-25 of 28 comments · show all comments