Canadian soldier acquitted on charge of sexually assaulting subordinate

Warrant officer Andre Gagnon walks to his court martial in Quebec City
PHOTO: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Clement Allard

A Canadian Forces warrant officer threw himself into his lawyer's arms and his friends let out whoops of joy as he was acquitted Friday on a charge of sexually assaulting a female subordinate.

Andre Gagnon, 48, was on trial for the alleged sexual assault of then-corporal Stephanie Raymond in December 2011 at an armoury near Quebec City.

His court martial was overseen by a colonel in front of a panel of five male soldiers who reached the verdict.

Gagnon's lawyers said the sex was consensual, while the Crown argued that he used his superior rank to coerce Raymond, 30, into carnal acts.

One of Raymond's lawyers, Lt.-Col. Marylene Trudel, accused Gagnon during the court martial of using her client as an "open bar'' for his sexual gratification.

Gagnon faced one count under Sec. 130 of the National Defence Act as well as the Criminal Code section corresponding to sexual assault.

Raymond, who served under Gagnon, testified that he made advances, engaged in sexual touching and attempted to get oral sex after a holiday party.

Raymond, who was not present for the verdict, said she initially went along with his actions because she feared later reprisals.

The panel did not give reasons for its verdict, but Maj. Philippe-Luc Boutin, who defended Gagnon, said his client testified in a very clear and precise manner.

"He didn't try to hide or diminish his own involvement in the sexual exchange that was carried out," Boutin said.

"At the end of the day, I don't think Ms. Raymond had the same approach. She was very evasive on many issues . . . so the jury, I think, had serious doubts about the truthfulness of her story."

Raymond's lawyers said they will review the evidence and decide whether to appeal the verdict within 30 days.

"The Crown can appeal the decisions of a court martial when there is a solid chance of success and it is in the public interest to do so," said Trudel.

Raymond, who insisted her name not be protected under a publication ban, filed a complaint against Gagnon and was subsequently discharged by the army.

Gagnon testified that Raymond was the initiator in the December 2011 incident and straddled him when they were alone in a room at the Regiment de la Chaudiere armoury in Levis after the party, where there had been considerable drinking.

He said she consented to sexual activities that included fondling, kissing and receiving oral sex. Gagnon said she only objected when he attempted to penetrate her and that he stopped at that point.

Gagnon testified that Raymond agreed to join him to sit on the floor of an empty room at the armoury to "relax and sober up.'' It was at this point, he said, that she straddled him.

He said he interpreted this as an expression of openness and that Raymond remained passive and did not return any of the sexual touching.

The proceedings were handled by a court martial because both Gagnon and Raymond were in the Canadian Forces at the time of the incident. Raymond is now a full-time student.

The case was also under military jurisdiction because the alleged crime happened at a Canadian Forces installation.

Gagnon faced a maximum of 10 years behind bars had he been convicted.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here. You DO NOT need to be a member to comment.

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News

  • Protesters return to scarred streets of Ferguson; more National Guard troops deployed

    FERGUSON, Mo. - Protesters returned to the riot-scarred streets of Ferguson on Tuesday, a day after crowds looted businesses and set fire to buildings in a night of rage against a grand jury's decision not to indict the white police officer who killed Michael Brown.

    But with hundreds of additional National Guard troops assisting police, the latest demonstrations had little of the chaos and destruction that erupted after Monday's announcement. Most clashes were relatively minor, although a squad car was set on fire, and police released some tear gas.

    Meanwhile, officer Darren Wilson broke his long public silence, insisting on national television that he could not have done anything differently in the confrontation with Brown.

    In the aftermath of Monday's violence, Missouri governor Jay Nixon sent a large contingent of extra National Guard troops, ordering the initial force of 700 to be increased to 2,200 in hopes that their presence would help local law enforcement keep order in the St. Louis suburb.

    "Lives and property must be protected," Nixon said. "This community deserves to have peace."

    The Guard presence was hard to miss. Guard units protected the Ferguson Police Department and left crowd control, arrests and use of tear gas to local officers.

    About 50 protesters converged on a barricade manned by 30 Guard members. The group chanted "Whose streets, our streets," ''This is what democracy looks like" and "Hands up don't shoot," a slogan that has become a rallying cry in protests over police killings.

    Outside police headquarters in Ferguson, one woman was taken into custody after protesters threw what appeared to be smoke bombs, flares and frozen water bottles at a line of officers. Several other protesters were arrested after defying police instructions to get out of the street or out of the way of police vehicles.

    As the day drew to a close, some streets that had been overrun the previous night were deserted, except for the occasional police cruiser or National Guard vehicle. Guard crews stood watch in empty parking lots.

    Other large demonstrations were held across the country for a second day. Hundreds of Seattle high school students walked out of classes, and several hundred people marched down a Cleveland freeway ramp to block rush-hour traffic.

    During an interview with ABC News, Wilson said he has a clean conscience because "I know I did my job right."

    Wilson, 28, had been with the Ferguson police force for less than three years before the Aug. 9 shooting. He told ABC Brown's shooting marked the first time he had fired his gun on the job.

    Attorneys for the Brown family vowed to push for federal charges against Wilson and said the grand jury process was rigged from the start to clear Wilson.

    "We said from the very beginning that the decision of this grand jury was going to be the direct reflection of the presentation of the evidence by the prosecutor's office," attorney Anthony Gray said. He suggested the office of the county's top prosecutor, Bob McCulloch, presented some testimony to discredit the process, including from witnesses who did not see the shooting.

    During Monday's protests, 12 commercial buildings in Ferguson burned down, and firefighters responded to blazes at eight others, fire officials said. Other businesses were looted, and 12 vehicles were torched.

    Natalie DuBose, owner of Natalie's Cakes and More, planned to spend Tuesday night at her business after a window was busted out on Monday.

    "This is my livelihood," she said. "This is the only source of income I have to raise my children."

    Read More
  • Fire at former Gray Rocks resort

    A major fire is burning at the historic Gray Rocks resort in the Laurentiens. Read More