Lac-Megantic probe leads SQ to MMA chairman's U.S. office

Police investigating the Lac-Megantic train disaster say they've visited the United States four times to seize documents and to interview witnesses — including railway chairman Ed Burkhardt.

A Sureté du Québec spokesman says investigators working the case also have plans return to the U.S. to gather more evidence.

Lt. Michel Brunet says the cross-border investigation was conducted through Interpol and at least part of it took place at Burkhardt's Chicago-area office.

Earlier this week, Canada's Transportation Safety Board released its final report into the deadly derailment — a document that criticized Burkhardt's railway for its role in the disaster and for its weak safety culture.

The now-bankrupt Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway and three of its employees have each been charged with 47 counts of criminal negligence causing death — one for each victim of the catastrophe in July 2013.

Brunet says the case is still open and Quebec prosecutors could still lay more criminal charges.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here. You DO NOT need to be a member to comment.

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News

  • Major closure on Bonaventure this weekend


    Work on the approaches to the Champlain Bridge will continue this weekend. As a result, the Bonaventure Expressway towards the bridge will be completely closed between Notre Dame and Carrie-Derrick, from Friday at 10 p.m. until five o'clock Monday morning. Read More
  • New York City man tests positive for Ebola

    NEW YORK - A doctor who became New York City's first Ebola patient was praised for getting treatment immediately upon showing symptoms, and health officials stressed that the nation's most populous city need not fear his wide-ranging travel in the days before his illness began. Read More