13-month-old boy in critical condition after falling in east-end pool

Shuyee Lee/CJAD

A 13-month-old baby is in critical condition after he was found in a backyard pool in the city's east end.

Police say the incident happened this morning behind a home on Parkville Ave. in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve district.

They say the child was unconscious when he was found in the pool. He had apparently fallen in accidentally. The pool is a small, in-ground model. There was no fence around it.

Police spokesman François Colland told reporters the boy's mother was inside the house with a female friend at the time.

"He was left unattended for approximately five minutes. The time of submersion is unknown," Colland said.

Urgences-Santé officials say he is breathing on his own, but remains in critical condition in hospital.

The mother, who is in her mid-20s, and her friend were also taken to hospital to be treated for shock.

1. Shelley Forster posted on 08/28/2014 01:06 PM
    So, the mother of this 13 month old is in shock? Really?? She left the child for 5 minutes unattended. It's sickening. This mother should be charged with negligence. Who does not know that you cant leave a child for 1 minutes let alone 5 minutes. This is my second post and I am still upset about it.
  2. KellyR posted on 08/28/2014 03:10 PM
    Shelley, sometimes a mother has no choice but to leave the child "unwatched" for a few minutes, please don't judge. I was stuck home with gastro and when I went to the bathroom to vomit, I did leave my child in the living room with the bathroom door open, but was not watching him while I was vomiting!. Are you calling me irresponsible for that as well? You can't expect a parent to keep his eyes 24/7 on a child. And for those who have kids we all know that something can happen in a split second. A child can crawl up the crib in the middle of the night while you are sleeping as well, it can happen anytime. The important issue here is not to judge and to hope that the child will be OK. No need to call this mother negligent.
    1. ann posted on 08/29/2014 11:32 AM
      @KellyR Yes KellyR accidents do happen......HOWEVER, as a mother, father or caregiver it is your job to ensure that avoidable accidents DO NOT HAPPEN! That precaution is taken whenever possible! If you have a pool at home, you need to exercise EXTRA PRECAUTION!
  3. David Maye posted on 08/28/2014 03:22 PM
    I have to agree with Shelly. Hopefully this child will survive and be alright. I personaly love swimming, but was always fearful of someone s kid getting in my yard.
  4. Kari posted on 08/28/2014 03:48 PM
    What kind of mother leaves her BABY alone for five minutes?? The same kind that thinks leaving a baby alone in a hot car is also ok.
    You know what they say........................anything can give birth but being a responsible parent is a whole other story.
    I SO agree with Shelley.
    What has happened to common sense????????????
  5. ric posted on 08/28/2014 06:54 PM
    Is the prerequisite for motherhood stupidity now? Leaving a year old infant around a pool for 5 MINUTES or leaving your children locked in a car in sweltering heat while you shop. What are these moronic mothers thinking?
    Is this also a $60 fine?