Most people won't be labouring this Labour Day, although there are things to do. Here's a partial list of what's open and closed:
• most government offices and municipal court
• shopping malls and most retail stores
• no mail delivery and no service at Canada Post post offices — the exception being postal counters in drug stores and other private businesses which are open
• supermarkets with a floor space of 375 square meters or more
• the city's large public markets, including the Atwater and Jean-Talon markets
• the city's major attractions, inlcuding the Biodome, Botanical Gardens, Science Centre, Insectarium and Planetarium
• garbage pickup generally should continue as usual, except for a few isolated towns and boroughs. (Phone Montreal's 3-1-1 hotline, or check with your city or town.)
• parking meters (they'll still take your money)
• SAQ Express and some SAQ Classique stores will be open — except for those located inside malls and don't have doors that open directly out on to a street or parking lot.
• AMT Commuter trains will run on Sunday schedules on the Deux-Montagnes, Vaudreuil-Hudson and St. Jerome lines. The Mont St. Hilaire and Candiac lines will not run.
• Buses and metros will run on a holiday schedule. Laval and Longueuil buses will run on Sunday schedules.