Charbonneau: Accurso grilled about 'contacts'

After a relatively calm day on the stand yesterday, former construction boss Tony Accurso dropped what's considered his first bombshell at the Charbonneau Commission this morning.

After years of denial, Tony Accurso finally admitted he knew members of Montreal's notorious Rizzuto crime family — sort of.

After being asked directly whether he knew Vito Rizzuto — who died last December — Accurso said he had his contact information in his smart phone.

He also had that of Nick Rizzuto Jr., who was murdered in N.D.G. in December 2009.

But he did not know Vito Rizzuto's father, Nick Rizzuto Sr.

While he was combative at times, at other times Accurso smirked and laughed while listening to wiretaps of a rival contractor denouncing him, using colourful language — at one point, dismissing someone heard on one of the wiretaps as "clearly drunk."

He also described his relationships with several key union leaders, including FTQ-Construction head Jean Lavallee, whom he described as a brother.

He's expected to remain on the stand until Friday.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here. You DO NOT need to be a member to comment.

Share this article:

News Videos

Latest News

  • UPDATE: McGill Redmen coach resigns amid player controversy

    The head coach of the McGill Redmen football team has resigned. In a letter, Clinton Uttley says his decision stems from a statement the university released last week in response to the arrest on domestic violence charges of 23-year old running back Luis-Andres Guimont-Mota. Read More
  • Price of gas up again

    Looks like there'll be another big hike in the price of gas in Montreal over the next few hours. Read More